LOCH OF THE LOWES - June 2024

Continued from May 2024

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter, Blogs, SWT News Feed and to Donate >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the current 'LIVE' YouTube link, visit >>> https://www.youtube.com/@ScottishWildlifeTrustvideos/streams or >>> Embedded YT link

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, with funds awarded by Postcode Planet Trust

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the 9th May, a dark, unringed male intruder (with a distinctive large pupil in his right eye and who the team at Lowes has estimated to be 2-3 years of age) has been a regular visitor to the nest. The Pale Male, who had ‘destroyed’ the three eggs on the 7th/8th May, has not been seen on camera again and it was mentioned that this new young male had chased him from the area.

He has delivered many small fish ‘gifts’ (three in one day on a couple of occasions) and a sizable larger one to NC0 - her calls expressed how grateful she was - but that did not stop her from catching her own huge meal on the 23rd May, to satisfy her appetite. His many mating attempts have so far been rejected by NC0 though this has not put him off from making continuous efforts. The Dark Intruder, as named by staff in the hides on the reserve, is showing great nest building skills - bringing in a multitude of various-sized sticks and soft nesting material.

Although the relationship is in its early stages, NC0 appears to have accepted him as a 'potential' future mate and they have been observed working as a team to defend the nest against seen, and unseen, intruders - all encouraging signs for the beginning of a possible new chapter here at Loch of the Lowes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nest Updates 

Arrival dates:  NC0(16) - 8.3.24 (17:52)   Laddie (LM12) - 27.3.24 (16:38)  RIP Laddie (LM12) - remains found 3.5.24   Broken heart

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 17.4.24 (10:48)  Egg #2 - 20.4.24 (10:53)  Egg #3 - 23.4.24 (20:47)

*Two eggs were destroyed on 7.5.24; the third one on 8.5.24, by an unringed, Pale Male Osprey. All were deemed unviable due to being chilled and left for long periods without incubation

Links to blogs and updates during March,  April,  May

June Blogs and Updates (Published dates)

20.6.24: LotL Fb >>> Update re NC0, DI and two female nest intruders

• Since my last post, NC0 popped off the nest once (returning with a stick) then flew off for an extended break at 11:07

She made a series of short calls before heading off

She continued left over the inlet until out of cam view

It remained ENS (as far as I could tell) until 13:45 when she returned

She made contact calls on landing

At 13:51, she began to mantle

No alarm calling

She then settled and began to fish call

The male soon arrived - with a stick

NC0 told him that it wasn't what she was expecting!

He flew off

He returned a couple of minutes later, 13:55, with, what I think was, a small stick

She, once again, asked for a fish

NC0 changed her position, still calling

Off he went at 13:57

Flying left, over the inlet

14:34 He has not returned. NC0 quiet at present

©SWT/LotL

• Thanks Sandra, I wasn’t sure if she might mate to bond for next year or wait until next year when she wants to lay eggs. Slight smile

I guess they’ve already bonded over fish and to this nest as the male is just as keen to defend it as NC0. Hugging

• Yes exactly, Glider!

18:51 NC0 still waiting for a fish delivery. She has been on and off the nest since my last report. It's been raining rather heavily

©SWT/LotL

• 20:07 And still she waits...  I wonder if it is the male on the birch?

©SWT/LotL

• At 20:15, after much more calling, NC0 left for the birch

She was only on there for less than 4 minutes before flying off, heading behind the birch, out of cam view

The male stayed on the birch until flying off, from left to right, over the Loch at 21:29ish

At 20:43, the male landed on the nest - he made a couple of contact calls

He kept glancing in this direction

He did a few crop drops while in this position

He flew off at 20:46

Oh my, he had a small fish in his left talons - not evident when he first landed!

He flew left, behind the birch - I wonder if he found NC0?

22:14 It has remained ENS. NC0 calling on the cam post at present

©SWT/LotL

• 23:00 No calling heard, but there was movement on the cam post and then the sound of a flight away

Night cam on at 23:02

©SWT/LotL

• 26th June

Morning All,

NC0 did not spend the night at the nest and it remained ENS until...

She was on the birch at 5:29, began to fish call then made her way to the nest

The male was on his way too when she landed

He had a fish in his talons

It was a live tiddler!

It flapped around

She contained it

NC0 transferred the fish into her right talons

The male flew off (he headed directly to the right)

NC0 then took her small meal off nest

She appeared to land on the feeding post

©SWT/LotL

• Due to time restraints, a brief summary up to the present time:

NC0 was back on the nest quite quickly after eating her breakfish. The male brought a stick, as he likes to do(!); she wanted another fish! NC0 has been on and off the nest, and was last seen leaving at 7:50

She headed off to the left

8:51 It has remained ENS

BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Oh.crikey! I was just going to have a scroll through the footage, after a very busy day for me, to find that the cam is offline!

• That's a great disappointment for you Sandra, hope it's not off for too long!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr