LOCH OF THE LOWES - June/July 2024

Continued from May 2024

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter, Blogs, SWT News Feed and to Donate >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the current 'LIVE' YouTube link, visit >>> https://www.youtube.com/@ScottishWildlifeTrustvideos/streams or >>> Embedded YT link

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, with funds awarded by Postcode Planet Trust

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the 9th May, a dark, unringed male intruder (with a distinctive large pupil in his right eye and who the team at Lowes has estimated to be 2-3 years of age) has been a regular visitor to the nest. The Pale Male, who had ‘destroyed’ the three eggs on the 7th/8th May, has not been seen on camera again and it was mentioned that this new young male had chased him from the area.

He has delivered many small fish ‘gifts’ (three in one day on a couple of occasions) and a sizable larger one to NC0 - her calls expressed how grateful she was - but that did not stop her from catching her own huge meal on the 23rd May, to satisfy her appetite. His many mating attempts have so far been rejected by NC0 though this has not put him off from making continuous efforts. The Dark Intruder, as named by staff in the hides on the reserve, is showing great nest building skills - bringing in a multitude of various-sized sticks and soft nesting material.

Although the relationship is in its early stages, NC0 appears to have accepted him as a 'potential' future mate and they have been observed working as a team to defend the nest against seen, and unseen, intruders - all encouraging signs for the beginning of a possible new chapter here at Loch of the Lowes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nest Updates 

Arrival dates:  NC0(16) - 8.3.24 (17:52)   Laddie (LM12) - 27.3.24 (16:38)  RIP Laddie (LM12) - remains found 3.5.24   Broken heart

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 17.4.24 (10:48)  Egg #2 - 20.4.24 (10:53)  Egg #3 - 23.4.24 (20:47)

*Two eggs were destroyed on 7.5.24; the third one on 8.5.24, by an unringed, Pale Male Osprey. All were deemed unviable due to being chilled and left for long periods without incubation

Links to blogs and updates during March,  April,  May

June/July Blogs and Updates (Published dates)

20.6.24: LotL Fb >>> Update re NC0, DI and two female nest intruders

• Since my last report, NC0 was on and off the nest a few times, bringing nesting materials back on each of her returns

She landed on the birch at 17:07ish

Still there at present, 17:51

©SWT/LotL

• NC0 left the birch at 18:13ish

She headed towards the nest

And landed on the cam post

She made a couple of contact calls on landing

She landed back on the nest at 18:42

NC0 eyed the sky

She began to call

The male delivered nesting material!

Her calls were quite short, not demanding

He made an attempt to mate - NC0 made her feelings quite clear, not once

Not twice

Nor three times

Or four

Or on his fifth attempt 

And even on his sixth try

He continued to hover...

...before heading off at 18:45

He flew high, out of cam view, after this pic

19:48 He has not yet returned. NC0 has stayed on the nest - she is quiet

©SWT/LotL

• NC0 flew off to the birch at 19:53

I assume this is still her on the birch at present, 21:19. There haven't been any nest visits

©SWT/LotL

• A dive at 21:22!

Love the sound of a splashdown!

She flew over the Loch

I lost sight of her behind the trees, highlighted

There was no return to either the nest or birch

21:49 Scene at present

Edit: 21:50 A few calls heard on the cam post

©SWT/LotL

• There were no more visits to the nest. I don't know if/when NC0 left the cam post but pre night cam, at 23:26, it was silent

Scene at present, 23:40

©SWT/LotL

• I wonder when NC0 will eventually let the male mate with her? Slight smile

I did this hoping to get a good splash but it didn't enhance well - but her voice was better:

Sandra said:
    A dive at 21:22!
    Sandra said:
    21:50 A few calls heard on the cam post

And I tagged on some trails on the water.

IMAGICAT

• I wonder when NC0 will eventually let the male mate with her?

I'd imagine when she's in full breeding mode next season, Glider? Thinking

• I did this hoping to get a good splash but it didn't enhance well - but her voice was better

The splashdown did enhance very well, Scylla, thank you! Smiley

And I tagged on some trails on the water

Wow, I wonder who made them! Thinking

• 25th June

Morning All

NC0 did not spend overnight at the nest. I can only find one visit from the male and that was at 4:23, he spent around 5 minutes there before flying off

He did some nestorising

He looked up towards the cam post, short (not loud) calls from NC0 - the first time of hearing her

He positioned himself onto the perch

Another quick glance up

He flapped to the front edge

4:28 off he went

He flew left, over the inlet

NC0 quietly waiting on the nest at present, 9:34. The male, hopefully, is on a fishing trip

©SWT/LotL