LOCH OF THE LOWES - June 2024 to end of season

Continued from May 2024

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter, Blogs, SWT News Feed and to Donate >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the current 'LIVE' YouTube link, visit >>> https://www.youtube.com/@ScottishWildlifeTrustvideos/streams or >>> Embedded YT link

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, with funds awarded by Postcode Planet Trust

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the 9th May, a dark, unringed male intruder (with a distinctive large pupil in his right eye and who the team at Lowes has estimated to be 2-3 years of age) has been a regular visitor to the nest. The Pale Male, who had ‘destroyed’ the three eggs on the 7th/8th May, has not been seen on camera again and it was mentioned that this new young male had chased him from the area.

He has delivered many small fish ‘gifts’ (three in one day on a couple of occasions) and a sizable larger one to NC0 - her calls expressed how grateful she was - but that did not stop her from catching her own huge meal on the 23rd May, to satisfy her appetite. His many mating attempts have so far been rejected by NC0 though this has not put him off from making continuous efforts. The Dark Intruder, as named by staff in the hides on the reserve, is showing great nest building skills - bringing in a multitude of various-sized sticks and soft nesting material.

Although the relationship is in its early stages, NC0 appears to have accepted him as a 'potential' future mate and they have been observed working as a team to defend the nest against seen, and unseen, intruders - all encouraging signs for the beginning of a possible new chapter here at Loch of the Lowes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nest Updates 

Arrival dates:  NC0(16) - 8.3.24 (17:52)   Laddie (LM12) - 27.3.24 (16:38)  RIP Laddie (LM12) - remains found 3.5.24   Broken heart

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 17.4.24 (10:48)  Egg #2 - 20.4.24 (10:53)  Egg #3 - 23.4.24 (20:47)

*Two eggs were destroyed on 7.5.24; the third one on 8.5.24, by an unringed, Pale Male Osprey. All were deemed unviable due to being chilled and left for long periods without incubation

Links to blogs and updates during March,  April,  May

June to end of season Blogs and Updates (Published dates)

20.6.24: LotL Fb >>> Update re NC0, DI and two female nest intruders

• All gone within the hour I believe. 

• I think she's having a meal break, Ash Slight smile

Edit: At present, 21:18

©SWT/LotL

• 21:19 She's just flown off with it. Crows (or are they ravens?) were quick to jump onto the nest

The first one on the nest, found a remnant of fish in the centre that must have dropped off on NC0's departure

21:36 ENS at present

©SWT/LotL

• Apart from a crow visiting the nest briefly after the pair of them had left, it has remained ENS

Pre night cam at 23:00

Presently, 23:33

Hmm, I wonder where the male has been since he flew off at lunchtime?

©SWT/LotL

• 3rd July

Morning All,

The male landed on the cam post around a minute or so before coming onto the nest at 7:47. Apart from a crow pottering about, there had been no other visits to the nest up until this point

He did some nest tidying

He moved the cluster of brown leaves

Some nestcupping was called for

Looking around

He wasn't happy with the position of the leaves

He went to the back of the nest and fiddled with a piece of bark

A beaver was swimming out of the inlet

He left at 7:52...

And flew behind the birch after this pic

He came back at 8:37, flying from behind the birch

He made contact calls on landing

He did a few crop drops

Of course, he had to reposition a stick!

After quietly looking around...

He flew off to the right around a minute after arriving

As far as I can tell, it has remained ENS. At present, 10:59

NC0 is probably sitting somewhere, still tucking in to her huge fish from yesterday!

©SWT/LotL

• I can't believe it! I did a report this afternoon and I couldn't have hit the reply button! Upside down Here's the report... 

13:55 The male brought a small headless fish

He quietly looked around. Was he waiting for NC0?

He began to eat while waiting

He stopped

Then flew off with his fish a little over a minute later

He was back with a small stick at 14:33

He quietly looked around again

He then set to work with some nestorising. First, moving his newest stick

Then made an attempt to move the 'log'

More sticks were repositioned

He then turned his attention to the cluster of leaves. 'Shall I put them here?'

'No, here is better!'

He nestcupped

More stick moving

He stopped to look around

He then flew off at 14:43

He flew directly to the left

The wind did pick up earlier this evening so a few bits of soft nesting material moved. I've not seen any more visits to the nest

At present, 22:12, it remains ENS

©SWT/LotL

• No visits seen

Pre-night cam at 23:14

23:58

©SWT/LotL

• 4th July

Morning All,

Great to see NC0 back on the nest this morning!

The male landed at 4:57

After a little bit of nest tidying and looking around, he began to flap his wings

Our dear girl landed! He jumped up, hovered above her and flew off

He could be seen flying round, and behind, the birch

She made her way to the back of the nest. She was quiet

The male returned at 5:01 with soft nesting material

She looked at his talons and gave low, short calls 

He flew off again almost a few minutes later

A small clump of grass was next to be brought to the nest at 5:28

He remained on the nest for well over 5 minutes. NC0 was fish calling but it wasn't her usual demanding vocalisation

NC0 preening at 5:51

She remained on the nest until 6:48 when she took a quick break

NC0 returned with a twiggy stick a few minutes after

Contact calls on landing

I'll leave it there for now. BBS

©SWT/LotL

• I can't believe it! I did a report this afternoon and I couldn't have hit the reply button! Upside down Here's the report... 

Good morning Sandra - haha, I’ve done that before too! Joy

• Cont'd...

The male did return a couple more times after that, no fish was delivered

At 7:07, NC0 brought a long stick to the nest

And another at 8:01

8:57 It was very breezy, NC0 faced into the wind

She flew off at 9:11

The male returned with a small stick at 9:52

He did some nestorising during this visit. Amongst other things, those leaves got his attention

A stick was repositioned

A long feather

And soft nesting material

He then left at 9:56

10:51 It has remained ENS since then

BFN

©SWT/LotL