LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

A very uncomprehensive summary of Klive's on-cam day:

IMAGICAT

• 22 August 2024

All very quiet so far, with one short visit by Klive.  Grey and overcast, and still windy.

The cam panned and searched several times, both near and far.  Some lovely views, but no sign of any osprey.

Pine marten deterrent

10.15     Klive landed on the nest and pottered – nest cam

10.16     PTZ suddenly stopped panning and returned to the nest, to Klive.  He had a bit of preening, while keeping an eye on all round him.  Was he expecting a visitor!  The cam still keeps glitching or faltering.

10.24     In a glitch he lay in the cup – has he nest cupped?  Then back to moving sticks

10.29     Just to show 'e woz 'ere

10.32     After standing and watching for a while he flew off – nest cam towards bottom right

11.24 side view of the nest

12.21     No sign of him on the nest since he left.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• All very quiet so far apart from the appearance of the spider on nest cam.  It was there at daybreak, and disappeared at 10.35 leaving signs of web, strands of which caught the light for a while.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

22 August (sorry I'm so late):

Klive's morning visit, not seen for the rest of the day:

The frozen fly-off:

23 August

SheilaFE said:
    All very quiet so far apart from the appearance of the spider on nest cam.  It was there at daybreak

Well that's weird!  I did a tortured response to this, all about not being able to get an adequate snap and the type of critter it is etc etc, and it's disappeared with only the quoted text remaining.  Maybe the system censored my nonsense Hugging

IMAGICAT

23 August

13:21 ~ PTZ found Klive with fish on Odin's perch.  I expect he was seen earlier on nest cam, will check later.

In the meantime, nothing illuminating to see here:

IMAGICAT