LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

Klive !!!  He's been to the nest twice, here's his first arrival and second departure, I'll probably do a vid or slideshow later:

IMAGICAT

scylla said:
    Klive !!!  He's been to the nest twice

That was it for the night.

IMAGICAT

19 August

Klive with breakfish - a holding snap again:

IMAGICAT

19 August

Klive with breakfish - a holding snap again:

IMAGICAT

• It been  very quiet this morning. Good to see that Klive was on the nest twice yesterday, reinforcing a lonely  ownership.

05.188 day cam kicked in. It wasn't  obvious on nightc cam, but it looks as though it had been a dame night.

06.34 grey and breeze.

07.21 it getting brighter

By 08.00 the sun was shining, casting  long shadows of the near trees

10.22 blue skies, fluffy clouds and a breeze wind on the Mike. No osprey sightings 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Good to see that Klive was on the nest twice yesterday, reinforcing a lonely  ownership.

That’s what I thought, too, watching him in the nest cup. I wondered whether he was reflecting ruefully on what he needed to do differently for a successful nest season. (Anthropomorphizing, of course.)

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Love it, CC! 

We all said Klive needed to up his game in the fish department after he kicked out the eggs, and banished Brodie. I think it was Louis at Loch Arkaig, among many nests no doubt, who brought in over six fish in one say to feed his growing family.  Then of course some unknow factor intervened. The Woodland Trust put out fish until such time when he was able to bring them in for himself. Sadly that wasn't  to be and the chicks became part of a translocation programme to Spain under Roy Dennis  and Tim Mackrill. But I have digressed!! 

Klive has upped his game and built the nest up, fought off intruders, and laid a claim, but also lost a wonderful mate who had made LG her home with Brodie.

I would love to see Asha return, and for Brodie to make it back, but I feel that even if that were to happen, if Klive comes back the scenario will repeat itself.

I wrote this earlier, but failed to post it.  I hadn't  seen anyone at the time, and neither had Chat.

However, I see they reported, thank you Pia, an osprey was seen at 15.00  via the PTZ, eating a fish. I have looked on my tablet but for all I try, I cannot see it.   However they reported:

16.24 it was still there

19.43 it was still eating its fish and at 20.09 it flew off.  

Chat only showed from 16.55 on PTZ cam, and didn't say where the osprey was sitting with its fish, nor whether it had finished the fish or flew off with it. 

It is currently  raining 22.01.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/