LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

The whole day in 9+ minutes, if you can stand it!

IMAGICAT

30 July

They've both been in this morning, each with their own fish:

Klive was back, still with some fish... oh no, it's a bent stick, isn't it? Grin

My internet went down again but I can say that he returned at least 4 more times before leaving @ 09:45.

Signing off for now.

IMAGICAT

• This was posted on Loch Garten FB. Flushed

• Oh dear ! ! !  Thank  you Gllider

• Thank you Glider.  I wonder what happened.  More to the point, WHY?

Their FB post said:

RSPB Loch Garten, Abernethy

Thank you for all the kind words and concerns. We want to reassure everyone that the damage was contained to outside of the centre and no permanent damage has been caused. We are fully cooperating with the police and are working hard to reopen as soon as possible.

Asha II am sure!!) was spotted at 12.22 on the old nest framework.  It was quite windy, and she had to keep putting her left foot down, rather than standing firm on the right leg.  The sun was strong.  She looked very relaxed

Cam zoomed in

Asha suddenly kept sight of something.  Her neck stretched as she looked ahead of her, her eyes piercing

and she left at just before 12.41.  Good to see her looking so at home.  I wonder where she spent those few weeks.

Can returned to the nest, and stayed there up to 17.40.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thank you Glider.  I wonder what happened.  More to the point, WHY?

Their FB post said:

RSPB Loch Garten, Abernethy

Thank you for all the kind words and concerns. We want to reassure everyone that the damage was contained to outside of the centre and no permanent damage has been caused. We are fully cooperating with the police and are working hard to reopen as soon as possible.

Asha (I am sure!!) was spotted at 12.22 on the old nest framework.  It was quite windy, and she had to keep putting her left foot down, rather than standing firm on the right leg.  The sun was strong.  She looked very relaxed

Cam zoomed in

Asha suddenly kept sight of something.  Her neck stretched as she looked ahead of her, her eyes piercing

and she left at just before 12.41.  Good to see her looking so at home.  I wonder where she spent those few weeks.

Can returned to the nest, and stayed there up to 17.40.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

SheilaFE said:
    Asha (I am sure!!) was spotted at 12.22 on the old nest framework.  It was quite windy

"It was quite windy" - Mistress of understatemet, SHEILA Grin

I wonder who Asha was calling to, if anyone, as she flew off?  Unfortunately, as you'll see/hear, the sound on the nestcam was gllitched out, otherwise I'd have done things with it.

First, Klive was nestorising and either havng trouble with the wind or his nerves or both Stuck out tongue winking eye

EDIT

A Jay visited - its beak is wide open in the middle pic:

IMAGICAT