LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

I accidentally deleted a session of PTZ - fished it out of Recycle Bin and found a small falcon on the cam perch, briefly, at 08:00.  It's too precisely, narrowly striped to fit exactly anything I know - I thought it must be a Kestrel but...

What a shame it's too early for a cam zoom, my crop just makes it even more grainy:

Narrow horizontal stripes all the way down its back, vertical stripes down its front, of which we can't see much.  Maybe it's a young version of something?

EDIT - I'm onto my umpteenth typo correction, the rest will have to stay there cos I gotta eat !!!

IMAGICAT

• What a beautiful Ketrel . I think the magnification (or something)  makes the stripes look broader somehow. anyway, lovely video Scylla dear

Klive flew to the nest with some of his fish to warn off an unseen intruder with chips - he didn't stay long:

IMAGICAT

• I meant to say what a catch, the pine marten!  Thank you.  I have noticed how the vegetation has really grown this year, and now appears in the nest cam view.  It is quite possible that nearby trees has grown sufficiently to provide a bridge to the nest tree, rather than just climbing the nest tree.  I assume this will be dealt with over the winter months???

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• How lovely  to see Klive, so hasn't abandoned the nest yet 

16.10 Klive was found on the flat topped tree beyond the old nest.  He had finished his fish at last.

17.06 Klive is still Standon on the bare topped tree, looking very content with life. But it's  home time, so cam moves back to the empty nest,

18.48 it's still empty.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

I expect you'll add in some snaps, dear Sheila - well I hope so, cos I'm only going to stamp my foot and flounce off, indignant that these birds won't let me rest !!!

IMAGICAT