LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• June 9

At 9:39:36 while Asha is on the nest, an intruder hovers above.  It flies off and so too does Asha at 9:41

10:16:49 Intruder lands on the nest. It is Blue 441 a chick from nest 1A at Kielder , a special chick who's Dad was White YA from Glaslyn and that year he went missing. Another one of Mrs G’s many grand chicks.

Look at that stunning dark necklace.

She stays undisturbed on the nest, moves some sticks around and finally flies off at 10:40.  

11:00 Blue 441 touches down on the nest.

And is off less than 15 seconds later as Ashs flies in with some nest material.

However, Blue 441 does not fly away but continues to hover overhead as Asha lands on the nest. They hop and down over the nest.  In photo below, Asha is on the nest and Blue 441 above her.

Blue 441 tries to land on the nest but the attempt fails and both fly off.

11:01:26 Blue 441 lands back on the nest.  Asha swoops by at 11:01:33. 

11:01:51 Blue 441 flies off and is dive-bombed by Asha.  That's Asha in the photo below.  Blue 441 is below her out of camera range.

Asha chases her off.

• 15:19:47  FISH.  Asha on distant tree with a fish.  She is in the upper left corner of the photo, partially obscured. 

15:21:50  While Asha is eating, another O flies by from left to right.  Asha flaps her wings.

16:51:52  Asha flies off with her fish.

While Asha was on the tree, KL5 was on a branch by the old nest from 15:33 to 15:43 when the PTZ cam switches back to Asha eating.  That's why we can assume it was Asha with the fish.

• June 9, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  15:19:47 (Asha on ptz)

Mating: 4:14 F, 17:36 F, 21:07 F, 21:08 F. All with KL5.

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 4 F

Canuck said:
    Intruder lands on the nest. It is Blue 441 a chick from nest 1A at Kielder , a special chick who's Dad was White YA from Glaslyn and that year he went missing. Another one of Mrs G’s many grand chicks.

If you see mistakes in here - say nothing, pleeeease !!!  And we used to have such a super howling emoji but there's nothing that represents my feelings at this time, and more than half of the current ones won't display on this forum anyway.

I wonder what colour she really is? Smirk

IMAGICAT

10 June

First on-cam this morning was unrecognisable - to me, at least - critter in the distance travelling from right to left and out of the picture.  If it's a fox it's small and albino!

o4:28 Asha flew in to perch.

04:52 Klive flew in onto nest, stayed only a couple of minutes and flew off to our left (nest cam).

05:14 Klive repeated the exercise but only stayed one minute that time.

06:14 Asha responded to unseen intruder?

Both she and Klive have been on 'n off the nest, nestorising and doing the usual things, up until midday.

IMAGICAT

• Scylla, you knocked it out of the park!  Fantastic video of Blue 441.  I never saw Mrs. G so thank you for including comparison photos.  The resemblance is remarkable.

• If you see mistakes in here - say nothing, pleeeease !!! 

Nothing detrimental to say Scylla ... that was a fabulous video and the info & comparison to Mrs G was very cleverly done ... thank you so much, I appreciate that nothing is easy these days, am there myself!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This is the only 'reply' button I could get to work ! Thanks Wendy  , I concur. Canuck , simply fabulous shots of a young 'Mrs G'  and Scylla, What a video  terrific thanks so much . It did give me a lump in the throat though.

• 10 June. "KL5 and his Clump".
    At 8:17 KL5 finds a piece of very old fish buried in the grasses of the nest. He digs it out, eats a bit of it (yum!) and then flies off with the clump.
    From 8:21 to 8:28 that clump flew from:
    Nest - Tree - Circle - Tree - Nest - Tree - Nest - Circle - Nest - Tree - Nest - Tree.
    Whew!
    At the last "Nest" in the sequence Asha landed on the nest and started to redecorate. When KL5 flew in to show her his treasure, she took no notice. He looked at her as if to say "What?! How can you not appreciate what I brought?" and then flew off with his clump back to the "Tree".
  • June 10, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  19:28:25 (KL5)

Mating: None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F