LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• Such a pretty view with the light and long shadows.  Asha on the perch.

• June 6, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  16:01:30 (Asha on ptz), 19:42:56 (KL5)

Mating:  3:43 F 20:43 F  All matings with KL5. 

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 2 F

• June 6.  The PTZ cam finds Asha eating a fish on a distant tree at 16:01.

She flies off at 16:40 and lands on the nest. Fish is gone. Feaks her beak. Hops up to the nest perch at 17:32 and flies off at 17:41.

• ​​19:29:45 an O lands on top of old nest pole.

​​19:38 the O flies to the nest. It is the unringed male from the other day. It rearranges things on the nest.  Then iIt mantles.

19:42 Asha flies in and it flies off.

​​19:42:56 KL5 flies to the nest with a whole fish. He mantles. Asha is still there. Can see the other O flying in the distance.  Both Asha and KL5 mantle.

​​19:43:20 the other O passes over the nest and KL5 takes off with his fish to give chase. Asha still on the nest mantling.

19:50:55 KL5 passes over the nest. He has a fish.  Flies to a tree in the distance and eats it.  Flies off from there at 19:57.  (Thanks Scylla for catching that.  I missed it.)

​​19:57 KL5 lands on the nest but he doesn't have the fish!!  It was a nice whole one too.  He ate that fast !!

​​19:58 KL5 flies off but makes a quick u-turn to land on the nest perch

20:00 KL5 flies off from the perch. Asha remains on the nest.

12:43-12:52 - Klive (well, his BTO ring was briefly seen) preened, fishless:

Canuck said:
    Fish

Asha picked up distantly, she's nearly finished it:

To nest for a potter:

17:41 she flew from the perch, out to the left past the old nest area.  It's been windy.

19:38 INTRUDER?!  potters on nest, then Asha shoos it off, then Klive arrives fluttering a small whole fish, which he takes away and eats on the usual tree behind the (PTZ) nest.  Last time I checked, Asha was still on the nest.

Canuck said:
    Fish

IMAGICAT

• Great catch Scylla.  I missed that KL5 flew with his fish to a tree in the distance (on ptz) and ate it there.  But he ate that very fast !!  It was a nice sized fish for him to finish it in 12 min.  

06 June

20:43 Klive turned up for a failed mating, he flew off 3 minutes later.  Asha eventually flew at 21:41.

07 June

Thru the day - did Brodie turn up?  The 2 dots on his head made me wonder.

I'm away for hours.

IMAGICAT

• I am betting that is Brodie.  Nice to see him.

• June 7, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  11:52:22 (KL5 on ptz),  16:16:38 (Asha on ptz with an eel)

Mating:  None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F

• 11:52:22  KL5 on old nest post.  He has the remains of a fish.  

He looks majestic perched there with the fish in his left talons. He flies to a different tree at 14:13 and then flies off from that at 14:56 with the remains of the fish.  

No handover to Asha.