LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• In Brodie Part 1, I liked all the crop drops and the close up of the feet/talons.  Well done Scylla.

Brodie's return cont'd - PART 3

I wonder where Klive was all day?  Maybe he was watching from afar and decided he'd better impress Asha - this was possibly the most willing handover I've seen:

IMAGICAT

24 June

Where a spider lives:

:07:12 first arrival, you tell me who!  I think it was Asha, a snap would be a waste of space.

She stayed half an hour, during which time I wondered if she could hear skydancing, no sound besides the wind.

Later seen preening:

RODIE brought a FISH !!!  Just a hasty delivery vid, I'm off now, SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• Yeh, way to go Brodie, good boy

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I did a full day up to just before people were seen near the nest.  I have no idea how, but I lost the lot.

I can only say from memory that Brodie spent quite a long period on the nest after he brought a fish to Asha just after 09.00.    The fish exchange was swift with faux mantling just afterwards.  Asha ate the fish on the tree beyond the nest and spent time on the old nest structure, , when the cam had lovely close ups of her.  She was also on the dead tree near the PTZ frame.  Brodie brought in more sticks, and did a lot of nestorising.

Chat reported walkers caught on cam, when Asha flew off.  14.57 she got very agitated, flapping as she watched below.  14.58 she flew off and was found on the flat topped tree beyond the PZT and old nest.  15.01 she was still looking worried, and flew off again.  She could be heard calling.  15.03 cam found her on the old dead tree branches near the PTZ still looking very concerned. 15.08 cam was panned out, and she could be heard calling again.

15.12 a person, or two could be seen walking on the boggy area thru the trees.

15.13 more calls from Ashs.  Two people walking, looking lost, away from the cam/nest area.  Cam followed them.

She did return so no lasting damage was done.  

17.25 until 19.00 she was on on the nest perch, and dropped to nest.  21.00 she is still there, and no obvious sighting of either Brodie or Klive.

There has been no sighting of Klive by ca 17.30.

Sorry about losing everything, despite being convinced I had saved it.  Bother is the least of what I think.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

SheilaFE said:
    Bother is the least of what I think.

You are so restrained, SHEILA - I hope the system doesn't drive you away again. 

I am trying not to be so detailed, it has been very stressful...

Here's a very pared down account of Asha's afternoon and response to intruders:

And for Canuck:

IMAGICAT

• What wonderful stretches! Asha stayed on the nest until 22.00 when she gave some short contact calls perhaps hoping Brodie might appear again.  No one came in response to her calls, and she flew to the totem Pole, possibly her overnight roost.

• 03.40 Asha flew in from the left (PTZ) and landed on the nest perch.  04.41 after a one wing-one leg stretch she flew to the totem pole as the sun briefly appeared over the mountains above the nest perch.

05.00 with two bursts of intruder calls, Asha flew off to the right and circled to the left before disappearing.

10.07 The lovely morning has turned to low cloud, and light rain.  I quick scroll suggest Asha has not yet returned, and neither Brodie nor Klive has made an appearance.

• My goodness, it's  been a very quiet day. The cam seemed to be fixed on the nest - a quick scan rather than a minute by minute look. Chat added nothing to my earlier report.

SheilaFE said:
    My goodness, it's  been a very quiet day

Only dear Asha all day!  If you hadn't mentioned the alarm calls I wouldn't have detected them, so I've volumised them to celebrate Wink

I hope that Brodie and Klive are not fisticuffing elsewhere!

IMAGICAT