LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• 15.24 Brodie had a poop and a stretch, and a wary look around

15.20 Brodie flew to the nest./-, has anothr check around and after flying off and around the area again he landed back on the flat topped tree.

15.27 taking off almost immediately he had another fly about around the area, dodging in and out of the trees.  Excellent cam work, following him, losing him and finding him again.

15.29 he was still in flight

15.30 back to the nest area, and landed back on the nest where Asha is waiting for him!!!

15.30 Brodie flew off again

15.36 He returned to the nest, moved a few sticks and faux mantling.

15.37 Asha flew to her perch on the just just behind the nest.

15.39 Brodie took flight and returned

15.40 with a very large stick and tries to place it sensibly.  Not easy!

15.47 Brodie flew off again.  Asha remained on the dead tree beyond the nest.

15.48 Brodie returned with another stick, nest building mode, but no mating attempts.  Need a fish Brodie!

15.49  Brodie flew off, cam panned back.

15.50 Brodie returned with another stick and nest cupped.

15.52 Brodie flew off again. 

15.54 Brodie brought yet another stick. 15.55 more nest cupping

15.58  Brodie flew off.  Asha remained on the tree beyong the nest.

16.05 cam looks for Brodie  16.06 wave to the VC.  

16.11 No sign of Brodie.  Cam remains on Nest, and Asha's tree beyond.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• 16.33 Brodie returned with a clod of nesting material, and started to mantle.  An osprey landed beside him.  Asha flew in from her perch and saw off the intruder, then Asha flapped at Brodie telling him to get rid of the intruder.  He followed the intruder and the two could be seen chasing each other in the distance.  More good cam work.

16.35 Asha remained mantling on the nest as an osprey landed on the cam perch.  Hmmm not sure who that is.  Brodie returned with more nesting material, and the two stand in a faux mantle look, back to back, while the 'intruder' remained on the cam perch.  So who is the latter?  A dark head with two white dots, much like Dai Dot.

1639 Asha relaxed, and moved to the near side.  Intruder dropped and may have intended to land on the nest, but Brodie took flight and chased it off.  I have no idea whether it is male or female.

An osprey flew overhead, Asha took off.  Cam tried to follow but returned to the nest.

17.09 ENS

• The unringed female first flew in to the nest at 16:33:35. She had followed Brodie in. It was just the two of them on the nest until Asha flew in to chase her off.  It's not the same unringed female that has been sticking around for the past week but we have seen this one before. I remember the very dark round necklace pattern.

At 16:33:53 when the unringed female takes off from the nest you can see that she doesn't have any underwing markings.  She is on the left, Asha is on the right, Brodie is on the nest

When all three are on the PTZ cam, Asha and Brodie are on the nest and the unringed female is on the cam perch. You can see at 16:38:34 that the unringed female doesn't have any underwing markings (at least I don't think she does).  

When the unringed female takes off at 16:39:35 Brodie flies off at the same time, leaving Asha on the nest.  And this is when she took off - doesn't look like any underwing markings.

I hope I have this right. but then again, I may be way off base.

• I think we agree, Canuk!

• How lovely to see dear Brodie back, I do wonder where he has been? Asha and him seemed okay together. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I popped in earlier on my phone and couldn't believe my eyes Eyes

BRODIE & SHEILA both bacck !!!

Thank you so much for the coverage, I hope to be able to do somethng at some stage... Upside down

IMAGICAT

• 20:30:19  KL5 flies to the nest.  He has a FISH.  Easy handover to Asha who has been on the nest perch since 19:33.  She flies off with it and lands on a tree behind the nest (see ptz).  He remains on the nest.

Some videos.  I decided to show mercy - to viewers and to myself - and divide up the day.

First, Brodie on the old nest tree and the splat tree etc:

A couple of bouts of crop-dropping included above:

I think there's a duplicate stick in here, sorry:

I can't do any more tonight.  I'm praying that it won't have been too busy when my next energy spike occurs but sod's law.may prevail.

IMAGICAT

• June 22, 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 16:41 (KL5)

Mating: None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F

• June 23, 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 20:30:19 (KL5)

Mating: None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F