LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• Just an excellent recap and photos Scylla.  Thank you.

• 15:27:46  KL5 flies to the old nest branch.  He has a fish.

The PTZ cam zooms in on him a minute later.  It's a nice big fresh fish.

• 15:36:15  KL5 tries to swallow the operculum but after a valiant attempt, spits it out at 15:37:17.

I've always wanted to watch this live. Really cool. Only part of fish they won't eat. Covers the gills.

Can you make a video of this please?  Thank you.

16:26 down goes the tail. Took him just 1 hour to eat that whole fish. Wow!.

16:32 he flies off.

Canuck said:
    15:36:15  KL5 tries to swallow the operculum but after a valiant attempt, spits it out at 15:37:17.

Canuck said:
    Only part of fish they won't eat.

See what Idris has to say about that Stuck out tongue winking eye

©️MWT-DyfiOspreyProject

IMAGICAT

• Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  And that Idris is a show-off!!!!!  lol

• 21:16  KL5 flies in on his broom!

Re your triple Thank You, CANUCK - I should say you are very welcome and it was right up my street to have a clear-cut mission with such precise guidance.Hugging

Just a couple of snaps to cover the whole evening.

The usual landing - Klive flew off before Asha, who stayed till 21:00-ish.

Canuck said:
    21:16  KL5 flies in on his broom!

If that were Asha 'twould be a witch's "broomstick" in UK English Wink

I came here armed with this zoomer:

IMAGICAT

• 5:24  Asha lands on the cam perch.  Lots and lots of preening. 

She drops down to the nest at 6:29.  KL5 flies by in the background at 6:30. That's him on the upper right.

6:41 KL5 lands on the nest.  Empty talons.  

He cleans his beak.  He probably has fish breath too.  Asha is not pleased.    

9:30:50 he redeems himself with the delivery of a nice-sized fresh, whole fish.

She grabs if from his talons.  He doesn't put up a fight and it turns out to be a smooth handover.  It's a miracle!

9:53 The PTZ cam finds Asha on a distant tree eating her fish.

By 10:00 the fish is all gone and she flies off at 10:05.

• June 21, 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 6:30 (KL5), 9:30:50 (KL5)   Although we don't see the 6:30 fish, when KL5 flies by the nest to land on the old nest branch, Asha reacts as if he has a fish.  Also, when he lands on the nest at 6:41 he cleans his beak. 

Mating: None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F

• My goodness, what a change of  heart! A bit late in the grand scheme of things, maybe he has read that chapter in the Osprey handbook now! Long may it continue!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.