LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• Three great videos Scylla.  I liked "Klive has a small voice".  Hahaha.  

• 8:38:36

Look at that beauty of a mantle by Asha.  I think this is just so cool.

• 16:07:37  The PTZ cam finds someone eating a fish on a distant tree.  Is it Asha?  Hard to tell at this point.  

The PTZ cam stayed with it until the cam switched back to a view of the nest at 16:55.

• June 15 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 16:07:37 (Asha?)

Mating: None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F

• ​​20:03 KL5 lands followed by the unringed female from yesterday.

​​He mantles, chirps and then flaps her off at 20:04

​​She circles and returns to land on the cam perch at 20:04:55

​​20:06 he chases her off and he lands on the nest cam

​​20:08 he flies over to the nest perch and takes off at 20:11

​​20:12 he's back on the nest while the unringed female circles and flies over him. He alarm calls. The unringed female flies away in the distance.

​​KL5 relaxes and takes off at 20:20.

​​20:24 the unringed female lands on the nest

​​21:17 She gets spooked by a little bird that flies up in the nest (see blur by the lower part of the cam pole) and takes off in a hurry, circles back and then continues on her way.

Oh noooooooooooo !!!

I might catch up later when it's cooler.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT morning of 16th

The male Crossbill - it turned out it was on the "splat-topped" tree favoured by the Wood Pigeon couple in days of yore - I remember a Rook couple there too, CIRRUS had to tell me what they were.  Memories...

A tarted-up CANUCK snap:

The lonely unringed female was back, and once again she was allowed a long period of free rein on the nest.  Weird!

22:30 - Fox was on cam hunting for 5 minutes:

Heavy rain up to midnight - how come those delicate flying insects don't get concussed?

IMAGICAT

16 June

Rain continued till morning - and I forgot to mention lots of outages late last night and again this morning.

Landing - is the underwing helpful re ID?

Meal break here, will probably do a video later.

Just checked Chat - someone's been seen with a fish, I'm too hypo to go any further!

IMAGICAT

• Lovely shot of Asha. I'll tell you  what we don't want .........LK5 allowing unringed female access to Asha's nest with view to winning her (probably cos she will mate with him, silly girl) and ousting Asha , Noooooooo. 

• Well typo apart .... whatever his designation is ........