LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• 17:43 he lands.  No fish.

Asha looks at his empty talons.

He feaks his beak while she is screeching at him

17:44 He takes off.

She looks at the camera and says: "What am I going to do with this guy?!?!"

Asha flew for the night at 22:21.

12 June

Klive arrived at 04:27, Asha at 04:38 and there was what looked on the nest cam to be an immediate successful mating but on the PTZ it definitely was not!  Asha still wasn't looking very happy Stuck out tongue winking eye

04:40 Klive flew off, Asha waited on the nest.

07:00 Klive returned.

07:02 Asha flew to Odin's perch, looked as tho she had a preen.

07:08 Klive flew off to get a stick, he wasn't very successful - here you can see him looking for a likely stick on his way out:

Some more ins 'n outs, I'm leaving it there for now.

IMAGICAT

• June 12 2024 - Day complete

Fish: None

Mating: 4:38 F. All with KL5.

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 1 F

• June 12

20:28  An unringed O lands on the nest.

Visit is brief because Asha flies in to flap it off.

The unringed O circles and then dive-bombs Asha

ASha flies off the nest (and wrecks part of the side rails).

20:29:36  Unringed O is back on the nest.

Flies off at 20:29:50. Asha lands 5 seconds later.

The unringed O circles and lands on the top of a tree to the far left of the screen.

Asha flies off at 20:30:38 to chase if off the tree. You can see the two Os circling in the sky around the old nest. They fly off.

Oddly, there was no alarm calling. The sequence was done in silence.

• Reserving the space to elaborate on CANUCK's obs last evening and anything else related to the 12th.

EDIT

An earlier first intrusion included - as usual I got my knickers in a twist dealing with the 2 cans Confused

No further on-cam activity last night.

IMAGICAT

• “What should have been a happy season has been ruined for her.” Exactly what I was thinking, watching her…Cry

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

13 June

04.16 Klive arrived.

04.17 Asha arrived

They both mantled for a minute or two, then I snapped Asha looking at us and stole a frame that doesn't even really match but the free ones were even brighter:

No doubt you won't agree that it's OK to steal as long as you tell people you've done it - I would pay for Photoscape X if only they would tell you what you get for your money, but there's not even a trial Pro version to test for a day or two.

Off I go to prison, SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• Hahaha Scylla ... hope it's not a long sentence!  Tell them we can't do without youTired face

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

The whole day from 07:30 onwards.  Klive did some uncustomary flying around while Asha was on the nest - I checked the nest cam but he could only be seen on the PTZ.  Apart from that, he was utterly unimpressive, even feeding himself late in the day and leaving none for Asha Confused

Visitors were a Stonechat (my confident ID Stuck out tongue winking eye )  and Wood Pigeon (probably, but I couldn't see any iridescence on the neck).

Here's hoping nothing important missed.

IMAGICAT

• Scylla, thank you for that summary video of June 13.  It was so nicely done with great transitions.  Plus, you caught things that I totally missed.  Thank you, thank you.  I added the missing things to my log.