LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• I'm afraid I really don't  think KLive is up to it. He caused havoc last year, and has done it again, just when Brodie was really stepping up to the mark.

On Chat. Did Klive have another fish, which he didn't  pass over 

18.32  mccann​  Asha spotted him flying in about 45 mins ago. He’s then came back to the nest wiping his beak.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

SheilaFE said:
    07.55                  KLive took off.  It was only then I noticed he had a FISH!!!  The rainbow shards from the sun rather distracted my view.

SheilaFE said:
    11.01                   The FISH is brought back by KLive, who either resists or can't let go of the fish.

IMAGICAT

Canuck said:
    Mating:  11:39 S, 12:32 F, 15:05 S, 16:15 F, 16:28 F, 16:31 F, 18:53 F, 21:34 F.

Just the 2 "good" ones:

Not very eventful but still quite interesting evening, up to bedtime.  I forgot to caption it - meant to say particularly that Klive was on the branch with Asha for nearly an hour until he flew @ 20:48.

IMAGICAT

• 12 May 4:21 female to perch above nest. 4:22 KL5 arrives and attempts to mate.

• 12 May

EJFan said:

12 May 4:21 female to perch above nest. 4:22 KL5 arrives and attempts to mate.

I was about to post the morning events up to when Klive arrived on the background tree on the PTZ with his fish, and had captioned it appropriately with a scathing comment... when, out of the corner of my eye, there was Asha in fish-receiving mode and there was no struggle - to speak of Heart eyes

So I had to delete it off YouTube and add on the happy event:

I'm off for the duration now, SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• Harumph.....a pretty  small piece of fish from  LK5. I'm not impressed. He's still got a long way to go as far  as I'm concerned. And where's Brodie .......thanks for the video Scylla

• May 12, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  6:51:40 (KL5), 12:40:24 (KL5 gets dive-bombed by Brodie and flies off with the fish), 20:43:10 (KL5 gets dive-bombed by unringed O and flies off with the fish)

Mating:  4:22 F, 4:50:14 F, 4:50:40 F, 7:14 F, 9:17 S, 10:14 F   All with KL5.

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

1 S, 5 F

• 12:40  KL5 brings fish to the nest and is immediately dive-bombed by an unringed O who flies off. KL5 flies off a minute later.  

12:52  KL5 returns to the nest with his fish.  There is an intruder about but we can't see it.  KL5 flies off at 12:53.

12:53 to 12:56 Great camera work on the ptz cam by The RSPB following KL5 in the air with his fish.

• Looks like it has a Brodie spot on head markings?   I do hope it is him giving KL5 (he'll never be Klive to me) a hard time of it!  

• Yes, Freebird66, I think it's Brodie too!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/