LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• Fish !!! !!! !!!  And it was decent headless.

Posted on phone this time ️ but it's taken ages

IMAGICAT

• Hopefully then, KL5 has  begun to mature ? 

• 11:32:13 unringed O lands on the nest. Leaves at 11:32:50. Then KL5 lands, mantles. Can see the unringed O flying off in the distance.  Doesn't look like Brodie.

• Good to see you Scylla.  I hope R&R are doing their work.

I wonder who the unringed osprey was, and whether we have seen it before, more importantly, will it be back!  It seemed quite nervous.

So good to see a decent sized fish from KLive  this morning, and a pretty swift hand over too!!

Another glorious day in Scotland..  It bet it changes in a week or so when I'm on the west coast!!  It's been quiet while I checked out the action reported earlier.  There were lovely close ups of Asha around 12.27 when she was on the cam perch.  13.21 Asha flew from cam perch to nest perch  and started calling loudly but then went quiet until around 15.00 when she started again.  It got loud, as KLive landed on her back to mate, probably unsuccessful as she pecked up at him.  He was  successful at 15.09.  15.10 Asha flew away unexpectedly, and KLive duck as she took off.  Klive flew at 15.20.  ENS

Does anyone know in which direction the Spey is from this new nest?  He flew over passed the old nest and totem pole and disappeared in the sky.  My eyesight isn't as young as it used to be!

Zoom hasn't been in search of them, and I can see neither on either cam.  15.49

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Hi Sheila - in answer to your question, the Spey is north of the nest and runs in south west to north east direction. The nearest point of the Spey is about 2 km north west of the eyrie - close to Mains of Garten. 

• Thank you EJFan. I have no special awareness, as my other half will attest to! So on the nest cam it is off to the left, beyond the old nest.

Apparently 18.25 there was another intruder, possibly the earlier  one. I haven't  checked it.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I so admire all you phone & tablet posters.

Have put some info in tech thread

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Haha! Off to the left, is, I believe indeed to the north!

• May 17, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  5:51:20 (KL5), 20:35:22 (KL5)

Mating:  4:02 F, 8:03 F, 9:12 S, 9:25 F, 9:50 S, 10:03 F, 11:18 F, 11:26 F, 14:58 F, 15:09 S.   All with KL5.

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

3 S, 7 F

• At 20:35:18 KL5 was flying in with a fish when Asha also flew into the nest.  KL5 diverted his flight path, didn't land and flew off with the fish.  He chomped down on it for some time while perched on a nearby tree (on ptz cam).  Finally at 22:14 he landed on the nest with the remains of the fish and handed it over to Asha.