LOCH GARTEN - May 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

IMAGICAT

Canuck said:
    Brodie was last seen yesterday May 3.  He brought a small fish for Asha at 7:35 and then stuck around to "incubate" an eggless nest.

Yes, and I posted a video of it.  I'm afraid this is evidence of how below par (as low as that already was) I am lately!

https://youtu.be/I0cSaLhdBnk

Also  

I posted video of the blue trout "handover" that was such a struggle - and I'll try to get to today's that youve just flagged - I'm still on 04:00, been there for blinking hours, unable to get uninterrupted time to get on !!!

IMAGICAT

•   Is he new to breeding??? 

Shame he knew enough to kick out the eggs Disappointed relievedTired face

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

04 May

The very early morning - KL5 skydanced but I could only rake up a tiny snatch - quite a low-key nest meeting:

The 11:55 fish:

IMAGICAT

Cuckoo! ... Swaying in the breeze? Wink

Little birdies:

Oh dear, look what I found between the 2 above videos... a momentous event @ 10:04:

EDIT - I may have missed an earlier one, too, but can't check now.

But coming 21:00, not having had a fish (does anyone know different...  ??? ) she was not in an accepting mood - she must have strong wings - well, Ospreys do, I suppose.

Empty nest up to now.

IMAGICAT

Good morning, WENDY - I just had to check the Like to see who'd popped in at last!  It's been empty every time I looked till then.

I've started a "morning activities" video but don't think it will get finished, maybe do some snaps instead.  Deflation is the mood this morning, and sorrow and disbelief, following the events of the past few days here and at Lowes.

04:09-  Asha landed and listened, but I can't find any skydancing sound despite audio fiddling.

04:21 - Klive arrived.  Both just stood standing.

04:45 - Asha checked the nestcup and withdrew to her original spot.

There have been multi-matings, successful and not, and a fish-hogging by Klive, I'll post this and BBL asap, probably a long time.

IMAGICAT

• 5 May at 10:59 Brodie touches down on the nest and then flies off as KL5 comes in.

EDITED TO ADD:  LG has confirmed this was NOT Brodie.  Different head markings.  Most likely was the unringed male from May 2.

• Cuckoo, Great Tit and Redstart. 

The birds are certainly keeping you busy today Scylla.

Richard B

Richard G B said:
    Redstart. 

The last time I ID'd a Redstart, with great fanfare, you never saw it, Richard - you can imagine how miffed I was Wink

IMAGICAT

• Deflation is the mood this morning, and sorrow and disbelief, following the events of the past few days here and at Lowes.

It certainly is very hard to shrug off the depressing mood Scylla, still can hardly believe it's all happened ... I applaud you and Sandra and all the others for being able to carry on in the midst Disappointed relieved all this tragedy, am feeling very lacklustre about my favourite Peregrines today!Disappointed relieved

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr