LOCH GARTEN - May 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

IMAGICAT

• Thanks for your in depth coverage Canuck. It is very sad indeed. Pensive

• Canuck, you have done so well to make such a useful and succinct reconstruction of the the the whole dreadful period. Thank you. It really can't  have easy for you. I am grateful I don't have to do the same.

It will be interesting  to watch what Asha does next, and how long it will take.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

SheilaFE said:
    Canuck, you have done so well to make such a useful and succinct reconstruction of the the the whole dreadful period

I quite agree! 

IMAGICAT

• I add to the round of applause for Canuck. Splendid job!

• 05:21 regular female on nest. KL5 lands on her back and attempts unsuccessfully to mate but is not attacked. He flies off and female starts food soliciting 

• Hi  can't imagine how many hours this must have taken to compose.... amazing.  I am confused by the reference to unringed O though?  Do you mean it's Brodie although unconfirmed? 

The sound and sight of Asha desperately defending her eggs is something that will stay with me. 

• 07:35  Fish.  Asha grabbed it and flew off 

Edit:  according to chat, unringed and could be Brodie!!

Karen said:
    07:35  Fish.  Asha grabbed it and flew off 
    Karen said:
    according to chat, unringed and could be Brodie!!

Definitely Brodie, great captures KAREN !!! Kissing smiling eyes

After earlier intrusions not covered this morning, Asha staunchly tidied the nestcup - and then Brodie brought half a fish.  He was mightly confused by what he found but did his duty anyway.  I have not continued to view subsequent events this morning... yet.

I am trying to pull myself together by attending to less demanding birdie stuff, but have a plan to rescue some of yesterday afternoon's horrors, probably 99% via the PTZ.  The glitchy state of the nestcam was a nightmare to get video clips from, I had to give up.  Thank goodness for CANUCK's determined snappery Wink

IMAGICAT

• I have serious internet probs today, down to .22mB download,, so any update on the cam to move from frame to frame, or reloads, is so frustrating.  Teccies have promised to check it out on Monday, but as we've suffered for months, I'm not holding my breath!  I bet a wee mouse has had a go at an inaccessible cable somewhere!  Meanwhile I have lots of whirligigs so can't really do detail.

Meanwhile, I noticed when Brodie brought in the 07.35 fish, Asha took it away in her beak, like days of old!.  It was a sad sight as Brodie looked totally bewildered, but after picking up a few small twigs he settled to incubate.

Looking back over the night cam, it looked as though Asha was exhausted after yesterday's traumas.  She was flat out.

The weather is beautiful at LG, blue skies and sunshine with a brisk wind.

15.47 is a fish coming?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

I'm still working on yesterday afternoon - very slowly indeed - and must now take a meal break, real life is such a nuisance!.

Here is a snap from lunchtime today, showing that "it" is still going on - the attempting matings that I have checked on have been rejected.

IMAGICAT