LOCH GARTEN - May 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

IMAGICAT

• It really is a heartbreaking as Brodie was stepping up from last season doing everything right.  He had my heart from the beginning and I hope he will again be successful be it on another nest.

• Although it is a very sad situation a bright point to take away from it is that it does look like there will be a big strong dominant male taking over the nest.

This bodes well for future years

Richard B

• May 2 Summary (Part 2)

8:01:05 Asha flies off with the remains of the fish
    8:02:13 KL5 lands on the nest.  He is alone for a brief moment.
    8:02:34 Asha lands on nest with the fish.  She and KL5 are on the nest together until 8:02:45 when she flaps his off.
    8:03:30 KL5 tries to mate again (THIRD) while she is still trying to eat his fish.  She flaps him off.
    8:11:11 KL5 with mating attempt (FOURTH).  She is still trying to finish that fish!
    8:18 Asha finally finishes her fish.
    8:20:24 KL5 tries mating again (FIFTH).  Closest one to success but she does not raise her tail.  She flaps him off.
    8:35:21 KL5 lands on the nest.  Asha flaps him off.  Large branch goes overboard.
    8:50:51 Osprey flying in the distance, from left to right on screen.  
    8:53:01  Mating attempt (SIXTH).  Asha flaps him off.
    To be continued...
  • Personally can't glean any comfort from that Richatd

does look like there will be a big strong dominant male taking over the nest.

This bodes well for future years

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• OMG (I hate that, but I need an expletive).  I am glad I missed this, with apologies.  What a dreadful day.  I can't believe LG is suffering intruders again.  I hope Brodie is OK.

A ringless osp landed 17.49 and lifted off, another came down, but in huge glitches I didn't see any Darvic.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• The was a similar situation at Llyn Clywedog in 2016. The male we now know as Dylan ousted the then resident male (Dai Dot) on 25 April, and kicked eggs out of the nest - no camera in those days so we don't know how many. The resident female (Delyth) laid a new clutch of 3 eggs from 11 May, all of which hatched, fledged and migrated successfully.   Dylan has proved to be a very successful male who is now in his 9th season at Clywedog. (Thanks to John Williams blog history for recording the dates). 

I hate OMG too, SHEILA, but as you say, it serves when one is desperate for an expletive!

Thank goodness you mentioned the glitches, I'm having a terrible time with the afternoon footage - but here is the morning saga, including poor Brodie's brief, oblivous arrival with fish, only to be driven off Cry

I'm sitting here like a zombie, can't hit Post because there's a need for a list of excuses and explanations... Best take a break, doing the afternoon video isn't going to change anything.

IMAGICAT

• May 2 Summary (Part 3)

9:32:46  KL5 attempts mating (SEVENTH).  Asha flaps him off.
    9:44:30 KL5 lands on nest and Asha flaps him off:
    10:05:05 mating attempt (EIGHTH).  Asha flaps him off. KL5 flies to perch and then Asha flaps him off that too.

10:31:35 mating attempt (NINTH).  Asha flaps him off.

10:54:02 mating attempt (TENTH).  Asha flaps him off.
    11:32:50 mating attempt (ELEVENTH).  Asha flaps him off.
    11:47:20 FISH from Brodie:

11:47:36 KL5 swoops in and chases Brodie (with the fish) off the nesT:
    11:56 and at 12:00 Asha leaves the nest alarm calling
    12:44:33 KL5 hovers over nest but doesn't land:
    12:53:20 mating attempt (TWELFTH). Asha flaps him off.
    13:31:03 mating attempt (THIRTEENTH0.  Asha flaps him off.
    14:41:30 mating attempt (FOURTEENTH).  Asha flaps him off.
    To be continued...

• It's history repeating itself.  Odin disappeared on 20 May in 2017.  Unringed male, George, named by RSPB with great ceremony in honour of George Waterston in 2018 proved useless, and intruders played havoc for another season.  Pine Marten finally took the eggs,

I really thought this was going to be the start of a lovely pairing.  They were so different to last year, more mature and working so well together.

KLive has been back on the nest.  A bit of twig moving, checking the cup, ignored the remaining egg and nestcupped.  Generally making himself at home.  

18.36 nest cuppling

and away at 18.40

• Thank you Scylla and Canuck for the very useful record of today's sad events.