LOCH GARTEN - May 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

IMAGICAT

• I haven't got time atm to delve or catch up properly, other than to cry, where's Brodie (and where's Laddie, come to that).  Are osprey making such a come-back that it is becoming a problem?

According to notes I made briefly y'day, 

05:52     Chat     Brodie chases off intruder. Looks like it might have followed him bringing fish

Is that the same as your vid, SCYLLA?  I can't see any reference of him again.  Just Klive and the unringed male.  And here was I hoping for a smooth season for once!  BBL

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

SheilaFE said:

According to notes I made briefly y'day, 

05:52     Chat     Brodie chases off intruder. Looks like it might have followed him bringing fish

Is that the same as your vid, SCYLLA? 

I slomo'd Brodie flying off @ 05:46 and intruder flying after him - given the break-up on that cam with fast action, one could have missed that there were 2 birds - youtu.be/ziRSb_ReIQ0

IMAGICAT

• Brodie just flew in with fish but KL5 chased him off  

billy said:

Brodie just flew in with fish but KL5 chased him off  

Wow - thanks hugely, BILLY !!!  OMG one has one's hands full now !!!

All strength to you (((Brodie))) Heartpulse

IMAGICAT

The sound's been out of sync on the nestcam since yesterday, it's most off-putting Cry

IMAGICAT

Sound is back on track :)))

I'm up to 10:30, it's ridiculous, I don't remember such a persistent, frequent intruder - but should probably be refreshing my memory to dearest EJ's bad times ???

BTW, I remember thinking, when we first met Brodie, that he was quite big for a male and that made it even more difficult to tell the difference between him and Asha (Mistle, back then).  I do hope that's right, but Klive looks a pretty hefty male now Pensive

Hang on...

... I've just checked Chat and there's no good news since Brodie brought a fish only to be chased away by KL5. Asha has been panicked off the nest a few times, cause unknown.

Meal break.

IMAGICAT

• May 2 Summary (Part 1)

5:11:07 Unringed male tries to land on nest.  Asha flaps him off and he lands on the perch.  5:11:39 Asha flaps him off.  
    He lands on top of dead tree to the left of the tower and stay there until 5:28:25
    6:15 to 6:21 skydancing
    6:23:00 Osprey (turns out to be KL5) flies in the distance.
    6:23:05 to 7:43:40 KL5 sits on tree eating (see PTZ)
    7:43:52 KL5 brings fish to nest:
    Asha accepts it:
    7:44:34  Asha flaps him off the nest
    7:49:20 KL5 flies in to try to mate (FIRST) with Asha while she is eating his fish.  She flaps him off.
    7:52:50 KL5 tries to mate (SECOND) with Asha.  She flaps him off.  He lands on nest.  At 7:52:57 Asha flaps him off the nest.
    To be continued...
  • OMG, I can't keep up with what is going on.  There are multiple ospreys in play.

• Huge battle going on that's fascinating to watch but don't give much hope to this nest being successful especially looking at what happened at the end of last year. I think KL5 may take over nest