Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 April 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a good week. 

I forgot to say that the wildlife behaved normally here during the eclipse. The songbirds sang and the woodpeckers pecked. Only the black vultures reacted strangely. They formed a flock, flew and dived erratically, and seemed distressed. They're back to normal now. 

Sorry I'm late starting the thread. I went to the convenience store on the highway and then sat on my front step in the brilliant late afternoon sunshine and ate my burrito. 

My heart goes out to all of you who are providing care for loved ones or coping with your own physical conditions. Love, hugs, and strength to all!

• OG - I hope you enjoyed lunch at the new venue.

I have been to see a friend this afternoon who always gives me 6 chitted potatoes. It is the agreement we came to because I give her lifts everywhere since she got glaucoma and couldn’t drive. Obviously I wouldn’t take any money so we are both happy with this arrangement. I had 2 pieces of lemon drizzle cake too!!!! 
    I had pre prepared the sacks the potatoes grow in and they are now planted! We are trying a new variety called Jazzy. Lindy, I wonder if your OH has heard of them? 

• Well, it’s me again. Bumping us up. I had a very pleasant morning with the ladies birding group at a small but lovely nature reserve near Prestatyn. 

• Had a difficult day today – trying to be organised and fed up with other people trying to organise me!  Doc phoned – my recent spirogram was satisfactory, so nothing to worry about – she asked me how I am, and my thought was that she should know, but I held my tongue.  J had a letter to say he is getting the new Adult Disability Payment (a Scottish thing) – in fact a back payment appeared in his bank account!  I don’t fully know what the next step is towards his possible move.

Trip out yesterday went well.  It is not a new restaurant – we went to the Old Toll Bar where we used to eat often.  New staff, but similar menu.  I had a lovely sandwich with salad and E_E had a wrap, also with salad.  They call it a garnish, but it is a generous portion of salad including tomato , which many seem to omit these days – and also multi-coloured peppers.  We found everything on our list at M&S and it didn’t rain!  We brought home everything we wanted for dinner, and that gave us a good start to the evening too – more peppers as it included roast vegetables.

RUSTY – I haven’t tried growing Jazzy potatoes, although have heard of them – we have given up growing potatoes a few years ago.  Everything is on hold in the garden now as we keep getting occasional frost warnings.  Glad you had a good birding morning out today.

• New Lawn Man came, mowed and conquered the 8 weeks’ growth. I was beginning to think the back lawn would need a hay baler! He promises to return in 3 weeks – the usual cutting time all year. He was followed by a brief shower. Now back to the weeds. . .

Dau emailed a list of the Trio’s school holiday activities, including a visit to the beach – “not swimming, just the giant sandpit”. LOL

• Rusty:  I see leaves on the trees in that park; who comes up with the locales your ladies' club visits?  I imagine you must have to visit the same places more than once.

OG:  Hope the cash windfall cheered J up; when you say "his possible move" is that a job move or...?    Sounds lie a nice lunch out and nice that M&S had everything you needed.

AQ:  Good to see you.  Are  all the kid in one school?

Been a busy week.  Ms D is back here tonight.  Her Mom is due back this Sunday but I've warned her that the Coachella Music Festival winds up this Sunday and that the I-10 feeway into Los Angeles is likely to be a nightmare both Sunday and Monday....   It's bad enough on a Sunday without any festivals.  :-(

• ANNETTE - Eldest of Trio began High School (secondary) this year and has settled in well. Twins are still at Primary School. So a lot of Mum taxi; too far to walk, no direct bus, not safe out on streets anyway these days.

• OG we got some eye drops from Boots which really help him.  We may love him but were not prepared t pay £80 pm for treatment.  

• Hi!  Not sure what I did this morning – part was writing a shopping list, so probably also some menus!  Then we went to the two local supermarkets this afternoon.  A lovely warm sunny day – nice to be outside for a while.  Will be busy with church magazine this week, but I have already received some contributions, so been able to start it.

AQ – glad the new mowing man showed up.  I remember the first of the Trio (Ms S) being born – strange to think of her changing school this year!

ANNETTE – J’s social worker is trying to help organise a house move for him – hopefully in our town so he won’t be entirely alone.  It should be assisted living if they get it right – the monetary side of things proves he is considered to need the help.  This is to help prepare him for when we are no longer available – or even here.

DIBNLIB – good to see you got suitable eyedrops for Benson – and that they are helping his hayfever.

We seem to have people Missing In Action – where is LINDA?   I hope all is well with her and OH.

• OG - I am here. Just didn’t have much of interest to report today. I had my regular dental check up (all OK) then my annual eye test - all good but slight tweak needed in my specs prescription. This afternoon my appointment was at the supermarket!!!! 
    I will come on tomorrow and reply to people’s news. I was wondering about Lindy and her OH. I am assuming they are home from Wales by now. Hope they are OK and just busy. Much to do in the garden and at the allotment I imagine. 

• Hi - I'm still here -- just busy! Will post later ..