Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 April 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a good week. 

I forgot to say that the wildlife behaved normally here during the eclipse. The songbirds sang and the woodpeckers pecked. Only the black vultures reacted strangely. They formed a flock, flew and dived erratically, and seemed distressed. They're back to normal now. 

Sorry I'm late starting the thread. I went to the convenience store on the highway and then sat on my front step in the brilliant late afternoon sunshine and ate my burrito. 

My heart goes out to all of you who are providing care for loved ones or coping with your own physical conditions. Love, hugs, and strength to all!

• RUSTY   Glad you thought the funeral was appropriate.   Like you we had hailstones yesterday.  We had offered Benson a walk just 10 minutes earlier and he refused.  He is very good at knowing if we are going to get weather he dislikes to walk in.

• We had hailstones yesterday.  And torrential rain.  And thunder.  I was playing in the end-of-season bowls game.  Our bowls hall has a metal roof.  Guess what - it was very noisy!!!  The game was good fun, and the meal afterwards very good.  That's it until September - unless I play the odd game outdoors during the summer (if we have a summer!!)  I don't play regularly outdoors any more - just don't have the strength in my shoulder.  

Heather - Good to see you posting.  Sorry to hear the shoulder is still bothering you.  I'm sure the constant cold weather doesn't help - it's freeeeeezing here again this morning.

• HEATHER – good to see a post from you.  Sorry the arm and shoulder are still painful despite the physio exercises.  Do you have any follow-up appointments booked?  How old are your son’s two little ones now?

DIBNLIB – glad Benson still makes up his own mind about walking weather!  I didn’t see Big Boy (Rook) today – I was very late waking up and have been sleepy all morning, so missed him.

PAT – sorry you can no longer bowl in the outdoor summer season – flat green I assume, not the crown green we got used to in Lancashire!  No hail or thunder here yesterday, and a lovely day here today.

E-E went to a “Carer’s Coffee Morning" today – it was at the Old Toll Bar in Gretna which we used to frequent for lunches.  He said the staff have all changed, but he enjoyed his usual “Malteser Slice”.  He has decided we shall stop off there for early lunch on the way to M&S food tomorrow – M&S café is poor quality and service these days.

• Tiger: I didn't have the money or the time to travel in 2017. I wasn't retired; I was working freelance and struggling to get by financially. 

• OG - I hope the cafe in Gretna turns out to be good. I agree with you re M&S cafes. I do believe you now have to order yourself at some kind of screen!!! What happened to the personal touch?

My hay fever (tree pollen) is raging just now. I took a Covid test just in case - negative - I knew it was hay fever but best to check. My head is totally “bunged up” and I have a permanently runny nose and eyes!! Marvellous!!! I still took myself off to RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands for a very pleasant 2 hours this morning. Being outside probably didn’t help at all but I enjoyed it. People are so friendly there. 

• Rusty:  Any OTC meds help with those allergies?

• Annette - the pharmacist has given me some tablets which are stronger than Piriton (our OTC anti histamine) it is just one a day and I have only taken 2 so far so, fingers crossed that they will kick in soon. 

• RUSTY  Hay fever can be such a pest.  Benson also suffers with a runny nose and eyes at this time of year.  We always take extra tissues on a walk so we can keep him clean!!!

• Good morning, all.  I woke up more naturally this morning and am ready early for going out (can’t really eat lunch just after 11am!  Rook has already visited twice – just the one.

RUSTY – sorry about the hayfever – I hope the pharmacist meds will work well for you.  I have to put up with it as meds are incompatible with one of my regular treatments – worst part is the itchy eyes.  Good that you managed a visit to Burton Mere, although, as you say, lots of pollens there.

DIBNLIB – sorry Benson gets hayfever – I suppose low-growing plants are the worst part for him since he is nearer the ground.  Is there any treatment suitable for dogs?

Sounds like E-E is nearly ready to finish preparing to go out …