Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 April 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON and HAPPY SOLAR ECLIPSE!

I hope everyone has a good week!

I received my eclipse glasses yesterday, and I'm all set for the big day on Monday. I will have 100% totality. However, this is our rainy season, so I'm hoping we will catch a break and have clear skies for the eclipse.

Many websites will be streaming the eclipse if anyone wants to watch it.

I'm approaching this event with a reverential attitude. I'm hoping to use it as a reset and turn my life in a more positive direction.

Love and hugs to all!

• AQ  You have such a lot on your plate.  You definitely need your escape and enjoy the stained glass wiindows.

• AQ:  My heat aches for you; my own OH has early dementia and I already feel a little impatient with having to explain basic things (related to hearing or information- processing issue...??)  I'm now taking over the Costco credit card payments as - yet again - he lost the bill in a muddle of papers, failed to pay it on time and it wasn't until I was at the checkout stand that I found out.  :-(  Luckily had a couple of others stashed in my wallet.

Rusty: Lots of controversy over wind farms here, although if it's clean energy vs. the other, seems reasonable to me.  Saw an item on our TV this week about a Brit firm - near Southhampton? - that is building huge cargo ships with massive high-tech windsails.  A ocean-going vessel powered by the wind!  Whodathunkit!  Those very ancient mariners knew a thing or two.   :-)

• We've had a very grey day, so limited ourselves to a supermarket shop, and then a drive along the estuary where we could see a misty outline of the Isle of Anglesey across the water. We were hoping for a beach walk this afternoon but the sun only made an appearance for fifteen minutes. It sounds as if the rest of the UK are enjoying a bright spring day so it's our fault for being in the wrong place!! 

Rusty, well done on giving your car an "outing" and enjoying the coastal views.

AQ, you are doing a sterling job and must be uttering swearywords under your breath - we're not listening to those but are with you all the way. I look forward to hearing about the stained glass.

Annette - I hope you've now had time to rest a bit after your marathon effort. But well worth it, I hope. Sorry to hear that your OH is also affected by memory problems 

Just watched the Grand Nationl Race at Aintree and relieved to see that no horses were badly injured this year. It is a rather punishing course although they've modified it these days to make it safer for both horses and riders. I went to the Race Meeting  years & years ago with a boyfriend and stood in a "cheap seats area" - the atmosphere was exciting but our modest bets were in vain and my legs ached from standing, later (even though I wore sensible shoes on the grass!)

We bought one of those new fangled Air Fryers last week and have been experimenting with various foods - it's good for some things but you need to learn a new way of cooking. Supposed to be more economical with electricity and healthier. Will give a verdict another time after I've tried a few more things!

•  Clematis flowering at our house just before we left. Delicate flowers with a surprising and pleasant scent.

• I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the air fryer,  steering clear at the mo as i do not want anything more on my work top.

• I also look forward to your thoughts on the air fryer, Lindy.  I have been thinking about getting one - but can I justify it?  I need convincing - or not!

• My grandson has one and loves it.  I'm not sure I've mastered the basics of the old ways of cooking......  And life is complicated enough a is....

• We first cooked a slice of salmon & some oven chips. Both very successful. Then got excited and adventurous but our experiment with a whole chicken was a bit patchy: the small potatoes we put underneath it were overcooked & the chicken itself wasn't cooked through. Took out the potatoes & bunged the chicken back in for 2 minutes -result  perfectly cooked and moist  with crispy skin. The experiments will continue, but of course we have not brought it with us on this trip!