Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 April 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON and HAPPY SOLAR ECLIPSE!

I hope everyone has a good week!

I received my eclipse glasses yesterday, and I'm all set for the big day on Monday. I will have 100% totality. However, this is our rainy season, so I'm hoping we will catch a break and have clear skies for the eclipse.

Many websites will be streaming the eclipse if anyone wants to watch it.

I'm approaching this event with a reverential attitude. I'm hoping to use it as a reset and turn my life in a more positive direction.

Love and hugs to all!

• Hey, folks. Here's an article by space.com that provides links to the best, safest, and most trustworthy sites to watch the solar eclipse. Including NASA.

www.space.com/watch-total-solar-eclipse-april-8-online-free-livestreams

• Hi Diane

How exciting!   Such an amazing cosmic event and I truly hope you do have clear skies to enjoy the maximum effect.

We were discussing over dinner earlier the next total eclipse in Europe which will be visible from Northern Spain in 2026 and the idea of going.

Thank you for the link.

Sending best wishes for visibility!

• freebird66:  If you want to see the 2026 eclipse, make reservations very soon.  Apparently, hotels here in the path of totality have been booked a year in advance.

Diane:   I'm so jealous!!!  Even if it's cloudy, it should be fairly dramatic (I'm assuming that).   Did you see PBS last night where Niel deGrasse Tyson was saying that it's okay to remove the glasses at the precise moment of totality?   Do so hope your skies ae clear, but it will be interesting to see the reactions of your neighborhood critters anyway.  

Meanwhile, Space X launched more satellites out of Vandenberg Space Center just at sunset.  You see it but it's too high in the sky to see before the sound waves hit and - talking of critters, the neighborhood dogs hear it about a minute before I do.

Family was here today and we had a lovely relaxed time; so nice to have the girls just minutes away!   Yay!

• Freebird66: Nice to see you! Thanks for your good wishes. I hope you'll be able to visit Spain and see the 2026 eclipse. I know it would be a deeply moving and meaningful experience for you. 

As ANNETTE said, the hotels, camping sites, and other accommodations were booked many, many months in advance here. Also  prices for everything (fuel, food, etc.) have increased wildly to take advantage of the big crowds arriving. 

I'm really looking forward to the eclipse itself.

Feel free to pop in here and chat anytime. Let me know whether you decide to go to Spain.

• Thank you Diane. I do hope you get the chance to see and experience the eclipse. Here I gather we will get a partial eclipse but, given the present weather, I doubt very much whether we will see it. Also, it is at 8pm when it will be pretty dark anyway. 
    AQ - I am so pleased you have your family near now. You can relax and enjoy them.
    OG - I hope things continue to improve for you and that you are feeling better. 
    My friend and I had our walk this morning and went down a different lane. The birds were singing and we actually saw a chiffchaff. No binoculars either. We heard a blackcap too. Now, guess what? It is raining and windy again!!! 

• Hey Rusty:  Just so you don't confuse AQ whose family is already nearby (in Adelaide),  I'm the one with the family that just moved back to California from Arizona.  :-)   

• Thank you for starting us off again,  Diane, & for all the Eclipse info. 

Been busy but also resting. I slept for 3 hours solid on Friday afternoon,  then had almost another 8 hours in bed asleep afterwards. My OH still has a headache, on and off, and I persuaded him to lay with a cold damp cloth on his forehead which seemed to soothe him. We finally heard from the furniture people today & they are delivering on Tuesday. At last!

Annette - So nice for you to have family near. Enjoy!

•  My big lily is doing its thing again with huge lush "trumpets!"

• Annette - sorry. I meant you when I said about having your family near. Just typed the wrong name!!! 

• How beautiful LINDY.  Sorry to hear you are both under the weather.....get well soon.