LOCH GARTEN - April 2024

(I am starting a new thread for April because, for sad personal reasons, Korky cannot be with us until further notice so the March title cannot be edited.)

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro.

Asha and Brodie

Last year they arrived on 04 and 14 April respectively.

The end of the 2023 season was marred by the aggressive intrusion of BlueKL5 "Klive" (thank you, Fergus).  We have no idea if the 2 youngsters were fit to migrate.

We haven't heard anything from HQ but it appears that the cams are not quite ready, despite snaps being posted to Facebook 10 days ago together with a query about the lack of IR for the third year in a row - and the streaming is unsteady and unreliable.  When LG issued a warning about a delay to the opening of the season, it seemed to refer only to the Visitor Centre.

The PTZ now

Quote RSPB YT Channel: When the Loch Garten Nature Centre opens on April 15th, this camera is controlled by the centre staff during work hours, so please be gracious if you find it staring at an empty tree! The birds react quicker than the staff are sometimes able.

IMAGICAT

• 19 April

From YT Chat it looks like a routine morning, with some mating attempts and some nestorising.  I'm away till later, SYAL x

IMAGICAT

• 14:00 Asha returns to the nest and plays tug-o-war with Brodie over the fish. She wins!

• April 19, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  13:40:44, 17:58:13

Mating:  5:07 F, 5:31 F, 6:40 S, 7:18 F, 7:53 S, 8:18 F, 9:35 S, 9:54 F, 14:31 F, 14:51 F, 14:52 F, 15:04 F, 15:30 S, 

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

4 S, 9 F

• Returned from a 3 hour visit to the centre. Very, very impressed with the new set up - so light and airy with more windows.

less impressed that apart from a greeting and an almost embarrassed membership pitch on arrival I spent the rest of the time alone without an approach from anyone, the talk scheduled for 2 pm did not take place as apparently no-one likes doing them and the interpretation was not proof checked- when I was at school you don’t spell resilient resiliAnt. 
    The lack of excitement and enthusiasm in the centre was a great shame. 

• That’s such a same about the lack of enthusiasm ..I remember the talk when I was there.. hope you forward to LG centre 

• Good that you made it to the centre, very disappointed to hear about the lack of interest, in general. How long are you there for and are you going back? Did you the the pair at all?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• 17:58:13 Second fish of the day.  A nice size trout.

• On the PTZ cam, at 20:15 eight deer passing through.

Thanks for "everything", CANUCK Kissing heart

Asha had trouble with crows in the morning (some half speed):

A couple of examples of matings and a fish:

It made me blink when I came across the deer whilst scrolling thru the PTZ - I thought they were large birds in the trees at first Laughing

Last night (per scrolling PTZ footage this morning) I thought Asha might have laid her first egg but it was not to be:

Then !!!

Last night I was in a total panic because my 1GB data storage drive was nearly overflowing, so I discontinued some of the downloads - and discontinued LG PTZ instead of Brenig PTZ.

So I've got nothing all night until now when I just realised what I'd done.

IMAGICAT