Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 March 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new tomorrow morning in the UK and the US. it's a supermoon, and it will approach earth closer than any moon during the entire year of 2024! 

In the US we also turn our clocks forward at 2 a.m. tonight.

I walked to my small town yesterday to get some groceries. As I crossed the bridge over my creek, I noticed that the water is coming back. When the state replaced the bridge and widened the roads, they diverted and drained the water during the construction. It was nice to see the water flowing again. I so hope the Great Blue Heron will come back now. I've missed him. I also hope the pair of Mallard Ducks will return.

Everyone have a good week!

• Lindy - glad you have arrived safely and that your favourite cafe is still there. Sorry you had a stressful time before setting off. Hope you can now begin  to relax and enjoy your holiday.

AQ - horrid heat. I would be like a wet rag I am sure. Hope you get some relief soon.

OG - the podiatrist obviously isn’t very sympathetic with you. . Hope your feet feel better now. I think 3 extractions would put everyone in shock, I hope your poor mouth is recovering. At least it is done now. I hope,J got his benefit forms sent in by the social worker and that everything can be sorted out. How can a bus driver just decide not to go where they were supposed to? Hope the mattress arrived eventually. 

I have had another very good day today. I went out with the lady birders to RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands. Super reserve. We had a surprise because there were 7 whooper swans there! Good views of water rail and hundreds of all kinds of waders. The avocets are back too. What wonderful elegant birds they are. I didn’t have lunch in the cafe. Just had a quick sandwich in one of the hides and then came back for the Armchair Travellers talk on a cruise around the British Isles. Most interesting. 

• (Thursday evening)

Not feeling at all well - now on antibiotics for a uti.  Think I might have to take a few days off from communicating - sorry.

• Best news I've had all week!  I'll pop over to the thread later on.  Thank you!!!

• So sorry to read that OG.  Get well soon; the thread isn't the same without you.

Hallo to everyone else!

• Oh OG - so sorry. Horrid complaint that. Hope the antibiotics do the trick. Get well soon. 

• Diane - I heard there was severe weather last night in Indiana! I don't know where you live there but hope all is well. I hope OG is feeling better soon and Annette's work on the condo is about finished.

• BJANE: THANK YOU for your caring. I'm okay. Tornadoes, very large hail, and severe storms hit several areas of my state, including west-central Indiana where I live.

At least 3 people were killed and many were injured as the storms moved across the state. Search and rescue is ongoing.There's a lot of damage throughout Indiana, as well as Ohio and Kentucky.

(I live in the rural southwest corner of Montgomery County. This is the Wabash River Valley, not far from the Illinois state line. I'm southwest of Crawfordsville and about a 45-minute drive north and a bit east of Terre Haute.)

Hope you are well, BJANE.

• Diane - pleased that you are OK. I saw videos of the tornadoes on the BBC News website. Not nice.

OG - I hope you are feeling better.

Lindy - I hope you and your OH are settling into your holiday and relaxing. 

Heather - how are you doing. Are you managing at home? I am sure you are getting lots of help from family. 

It is a lovely sunny spring day here. I am determined to get out in the garden and do some more tidying up. The birds need feeding too. I had a lovely trip out yesterday - a U3A Away Day. I was with lots of friends. On a coach we went to Prescott near Liverpool where, in 2022, they opened the Shakespeare North Theatre. We had a guided tour. It was excellent. We heard about the building and how it is all oak and based on an original 15th century design. Not quite like the globe on London - more accurate apparently. The outside looks modern and the inside is meant to be more of Shakespeare’s time.

Ae then went on to Rufford Old Hall near Southport. A part Tudor Building and gardens. It has an interesting history and they like to think that Shakespeare actually visited! The guides in each room were really interesting and informative. It had a very nice cafe too!!! I can recommend the lemon and orange cake!!! We enjoyed strolling in the gardens and visiting the church (I will post a picture for AQ)

The hall with topiary squirrels in front of it!!! 

The church

A couple of interiors of the hall

• What an interesting looking place, Rusty.  I have heard of it, but never visited,  A part of the world I usually rush through on my way to Scotland!  I must stop and enjoy next time.  I stayed at a hotel in Southport a couple of years ago.  Hoping to get to Scotland in a few months ... must try to slot in a stop in Southport!

The sun's shining here as well - at the moment.  The forecast doesn't look good, though.  More rain on the way tomorrow.  Typical - I am on an all-day webinar today so will miss the sun.  And have a busy 'rushing around' day tomorrow, in the rain.  Grrrrrrr

• I've been there, and it's a super interesting place, isn't it? Love your pictures.

Edit --  I remember liking how the walls aren't straight in these old buildings!