The History of The Loch Garten Group

I was talking to a long standing member of this group and they remarked that I did not post here much but I still know what is going on. Well i still read a lot of the post and this is still one of the best sources of osprey history. 

For the record I have been a member of this group since it  opened on 21 July 2009. That is over fourteen years. 

So how long have you been here and what have ospreys done for you? 

• I lurked for years before I started posting (not sure when that was). My birding diary entry for 19 June 2010 records when Lady collapsed on the nest at Lowes, with the 2 chicks continuing to be fed by dad. Two days later she bucked up, flew off the nest and drank from the loch, just as Jackie Bird began reporting for BBC Reporting Scotland. 'The webcam/blog site went nuts' I wrote. I'll admit my focus swaps around between nests (Garten, Dyfi and also Aberfoyle when it was covered by a webcam (Clarach....) as I can't follow them all but I've enjoyed the banter and chat over the years and nice personal messages on occasion. And yes, like Wendy, very grateful to those who've taught me how to master the technological challenges of the site. I've visited a lot of the Scottish sites and Rutland but hope to get to Dyfi and Poole harbour some day

• The saga of Lady's illness evoked strong emotions. At least four people called for her to be euthanised. 

Then just as Lady featured on the six o'clock news she took off and flew down to the water's edge and took a drink. 

Then on the 4th August 2010 Lady took off, Circled the Loch and was gone. Many said it was her farewell but they were wrong. The following spring she came back. 

For details  see  here

• You wuz BOPS'd, Wendy! Rage

WendyBartter said:
    it was extremely upsetting as 'wee yin' was bullied to death by two bigger siblings ... was it 2011 or 2012?

I think the tragic event took place in June 2012, but no amount of searching brings up anything helpful - the system is reluctant even to stick to the specified year!

Dear Moffer was so upset and angry at the lack of intervention, she quit the forums but couldn't stay away long, of course.

IMAGICAT

• It was 2012. That was terrible to watch.

The two bigger siblings were Caledonia and Alba.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• scylla said:

You wuz BOPS'd, Wendy!

WendyBartter said:
    it was extremely upsetting as 'wee yin' was bullied to death by two bigger siblings ... was it 2011 or 2012?

I think the tragic event took place in June 2012, but no amount of searching brings up anything helpful - the system is reluctant even to stick to the specified year!

Dear Moffer was so upset and angry at the lack of intervention, she quit the forums but couldn't stay away long, of course.

You have not attended Tiger's school of searching?  Well you start by consulting  imagicat Loch Garten 2012  The date you are looking for is Sunday 17th June 2012

relevant threads   see  here

• Clare Bailey said:
    The two bigger siblings were Caledonia and Alba

I couldn't remember what they were nicknamed at the time - if indeed they were.

Hazel b said:
    You have not attended Tiger's school of searching?  Well you start by consulting  imagicat Loch Garten 2012  The date you are looking for is Sunday 17th June 2012

Flippin' 'eck, Tiger - and it's my signature! Confounded

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I couldn't remember what they were nicknamed at the time - if indeed they were.

Courage and Wisdom.  Poor little Bravery was the one who died.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks to all for finding the correct date/year!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Some of the unofficial names are great. Who remembers what a din?

• I certainly remember that ... was it our Scylla who coined that phrase? Think Moffer was involved too?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr