The History of The Loch Garten Group

I was talking to a long standing member of this group and they remarked that I did not post here much but I still know what is going on. Well i still read a lot of the post and this is still one of the best sources of osprey history. 

For the record I have been a member of this group since it  opened on 21 July 2009. That is over fourteen years. 

So how long have you been here and what have ospreys done for you? 

• I've been here 10 years this month. Got my new ipad for Christmas. After setting it up during the holidays, I was able to see what the world had to offer, not having done much Internet usage up until then. I became a member, and it was on looking af the RSPB site that I came across the community, as they say, the rest is history. It was dear EJ and Odin at the time, and it did not take long for me to get hooked. LG is roughly 3 hours away and it was only a few years after that I visited for the1st time, and a 2nd trip a few years later. I was able to see EJ but not Odin the 1st time but sadly he was no longer with us in the 2nd visit. I sorted for a year the guess the date EJ would return, after you retired Tiger, sadly that, I think was her last year. It was such a sad time when we lost the great pair, you get so attached, I have followed eagerly since then (other nests as well) and can't wait until it starts again this hear, 2 months and counting!!! I have made lovely friends on here, sadly some no longer are with us and others no longer post. Very few are regularly posting now but it is still enjoyable, keeping up with everyone's stories, seeing lovely photos and videos.

Edit - just found my 1st post, 24th January 2013, so 11 years.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A traveller from DownUnder, I think I joined the blog, chat or whatever after I visited Loch Garten June 2008. On my return I would watch and report late afternoon (our time) when dawn was breaking over the nest. Before the days of videos!
  • aquilareen said:
    A traveller from DownUnder, I think I joined the blog, chat or whatever after I visited Loch Garten June 2008. On my return I would watch and report late afternoon (our time) when dawn was breaking over the nest. Before the days of videos!

Lovely to hear from you. I was talking about you to a friend in Adelaide. She is into genealogy  and I was saying that I knew a few very good in that subject. I seem to remember that you treated us to a history of early Australia which was very fascinating.  

• Found while searching for my early posts (I found myself on 01 July 2011 but obviously wasn't absolutely new at that time):

Tiger said on 24 Mar 2011 @ 8:19 PM:

EJ arrives at Loch Garten at 2.15pm exactly as my prediction! :) :) :)

At one time I could have reverse-sorted my videos to see the first one uploaded but that feature was removed by YouTube - it's supposed to have been reinstated recently but not for me!

All I can say is that I came here via the amazing sight of tiny Decorah bald eaglets struggling in snow, I can't remember who guided me - then EJ and Odin threw everyone and everything else out of my life.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Found while searching for my early posts (I found myself on 01 July 2011 but obviously wasn't absolutely new at that time):

Tiger said on 24 Mar 2011 @ 8:19 PM:

EJ arrives at Loch Garten at 2.15pm exactly as my prediction! :) :) :)

At one time I could have reverse-sorted my videos to see the first one uploaded but that feature was removed by YouTube - it's supposed to have been reinstated recently but not for me!

All I can say is that I came here via the amazing sight of tiny Decorah bald eaglets struggling in snow, I can't remember who guided me - then EJ and Odin threw everyone and everything else out of my life.

You select my finest moment. The day I predicted the exact time that at which EJ would return. I was writing my excuses as to why EJ had not returned. One last look at the camera and there she was.

• scylla said:

Found it!  Strangely, not on the Manage Videos page.

First video ever uploaded was of Star (Tore) housekeeping near the edge of the nest while Storm (Bynack) chilled in the nestcup.  Right at the beginning you can hear my voice - a kinda ohh or ahh sound - accidentally recorded cos I didn't know what I was doing.

06 June 2011

IMAGICAT

• Well done Scylla,

this reminded me of Tore later same year, on local Cornish site

www.tamarwildlife.co.uk/.../

• Lovely to see so many 'old faces'!!
    I discovered LG when listening to BBC radio 4 - World on the Move - I think it was 2007 or 2008. They followed Logie on her southward journey. LG was mentioned of course, and I found my way to the Forum and the Diary.
    in 2007, I think, in the very early days. My first full year was 2008 with Nethy and Deshar, the last year of OVS. We all watched Deshar's red line (now been changed to black on the map) stretch further and further our into the Atlantic, almost following a line of buoys.
    It was probably that winter, or the next one, that I signed up onto FB so I could keep in touch with the osprey 'friends'. And the rest, as they say, is history. The cam was poor, my pics (when I found a crude way of copying from the cam) were ever poorer, and I didn't keep many records in those days.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• scylla said:
    First video ever uploaded was

Your first of many poo-shots too Scylla?  Lol Rolling eyes

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Have been trying to remember when I first found Loch Garten Ospreys, I remember it was extremely upsetting as 'wee yin' was bullied to death by two bigger siblings ... was it 2011 or 2012? I joined the community to follow Puffins at Sumburgh Head, then Sparrowhawks at Edinburgh Botanical Gardens, had my own Kestrels in the quarry thread, then getting to know folk on the forum led to LG where I was quickly in awe of our Scylla who kindly instructed me on the art of capturing live footage & editing videos, eternally grateful!
    Looking back over Tiger's earliest thread makes me quite emotional at seeing names of the folk I came to know and who've passed on! I never gained all the knowledge that some folk have but always enthralled to follow EJ & Odin ... still following and hoping to see a strongly bonded pair once more!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr