Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 January 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a good week.

I don't have any wildlife stories to share this week. We've had snow and 60 mph winds last night, and tonight we've been warned of dangerous arctic cold settling in. The "feels like" temperature (sub-zero temp plus wind chill) is predicted to be near 25 below zero Fahrenheit. That's 32 below zero Celcius. All of the wildlife have gone to their burrows, nests, and other shelter to try to stay warm. We've been warned that power outages are possible, and the extreme cold will stay around through the week. I'm going to read the novel "Project Hail Mary", which I've had for awhile but haven't read yet. I bought a second arctic sleeping bag for the bed and also some thick, fleece slipper socks and some flip-top gloves.

Hugs to all of you!

• PAT O: Thanks for your prayers and hugs regarding our bitter cold. I'm hanging on until Monday, when the weather is predicted to change. I hope you are well and your schedule isn't too demanding now.
  • Diane, I see you came on whilst I was wittering. Things certainly look grim politically for both of our countries and there is also some turmoil in parts of Europe. We seem to be in an era of great change now. This is nothing new in the world of course and some change is inevitable with each new generation.

I cling to the hope that sense will prevail and that what we call The Silent Majority will flex their muscles against anything too dramatic whilst everyone finds their way in a new world. I sincerely hope that you are not too affected and that your fears are unfounded.
  • Diane, I see you came on whilst I was wittering. Things certainly look grim politically for both of our countries and there is also some turmoil in parts of Europe. We seem to be in an era of great change now. This is nothing new in the world of course and some change is inevitable with each new generation.

I cling to the hope that sense will prevail and that what we call The Silent Majority will flex their muscles against anything too dramatic whilst everyone finds their way in a new world. I sincerely hope that you are not too affected and that your fears are unfounded.
  • Dibnlib: 25 below for 3 weeks is ghastly. I used to watch the Shetland webcams every day. Because it's so far north, I always expected Shetland to be monstrously cold. But it always seemed fairly temperate to me. You're right that it's not always about being north. I sure would like to visit that place. Hope you are well.
  • Annette, I'm not sure as it was autumn and the colour had gone from much of the plants - it could have been.

Ive often thought that about Trump - he so hates to be wrong, or to be crossed- he looks as if he might explode! I imagine him bursting like a cartoon character! 

• Anyone have spare feathers for a wedge-tailed eagle?

And this will be sizzling.

Back later or tomorrow with Aviation Museum report. Good but tiring for the aged!

• AQ: Let us know how the eagle fares. I've done the museum stuff with kiddies; yes, it's exhausting. And yes, 122F is sizzling!. The article indicate that people are used to high temps but that still seems extraordinary.

Another busy day here. Spent the morning trying to get our fountain working, but none of the previous solutions worked. The birds must be wondering what's going on.....

Take care everyone.
  • DIANE Shetland rarely gets bitterly cold but neither does it get hot. In the 2 summers we lived there I think the max temp was about 16 degrees. This meant it was T shirt and shorts weather. Shetland is known for its windy weather and if you put your washing out on the whirly it was a guessing game as to where it would end up!!!
  • This mornings walk was quite a work out trudging through a few inches of snow.