Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 December 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

The day was weirdly warm here, so I sat on my enclosed porch for awhile and gave myself a haircut. The male cardinal visited his old nest at the end of my porch (there must be dead insects he's eating). Then, he helped himself to some weed seeds. I always leave the tall weeds at that end of the porch because he likes ro eat those seeds all winter. HIs bright red feathers were very Christmasy. 

This is a hard time of year for lots of folks. Also, I know many of you are facing challenges and rough days right now. My thoughts are with all of you, and I wish I could lighten your burdens. 

Hugs and love to all.

• Heather - so glad to see you are reading our posts. I do hope you are making progress and feeling better.

• DIANE – Thank you. You always start our week with encouraging words.

Dau & Co visited Sunday arvo, Trio decorated our tree – without any arguments! I planned to visit city today (postponed because of Friday storms), However I was woken at crack of dawn by a loud crack of thunder. Rain & thunder persisted throughout the day.  We had a 2-hour power outage and I lost 15 mins data entry on computer. Bleah. We were lucky - this evening some 30,000 are still without power. I shall try again tomorrow to visit library for my family research. Shhh, don’t tell the weather gods my plans.

• Thanks Diane for starting us off and for the story of the Cardinal bird - brightens up the day.

So sorry to learn of the passing of one of our members, thoughts with the family.

Today has been better with sunshine and cloud as yesterday was blustery and wet although it did clear up in time for
    the outdoor Nativity which my daughter was involved in in a local village where she attends church. I didn't go as it would have meant standing in the cold weather which these days is difficult. I'll be glad when I get a nod from the hospital for a consultation but still could be waiting another 6 months before that happens. Still , learning to smile through. Now have decs up which is mainly lights and it looks quite pretty. No tree again but light boxes in the window, telling of the Light of the World, and never to give up hope.

It is rather annoying that Israel are still fighting on the Gaza and trying to displace thousands, why can't they be thankful for the country they have been given. Unfortunately humans are greedy and irrespective of the terrorist threat. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest, feel so sorry for the genuine Palestinians.

Do hope that those that are suffering ill health or otherwise will soon be feeling better. Take care.
  • We've had a mixed day. Story later.
  • Just realised I haven’t posted today!
    Lindy - I am sure we are all awaiting the story of your mixed day. Hope all is OK.
    AQ - you are having some rather violent weather! I hope you manage to get to the library today.
    My day didn’t go according to plan. Sadly, the French group buffet lunch had to be cancelled because the host and his wife both had terrible colds and didn’t want to pass them on. I have frozen the quiche I had bought and used some of the ham for tea. I did a little local route in the car and hand delivered the cards I was going to give out. I had quite a few doorstep chats with my friends and went in for a longer chat with one of them.
    Tomorrow it is the Flora and Fauna group’s Christmas lunch which I have organised in a local eatery. Traditionally we go for a walk for about a hour first and then eat. There will be 23 of us!!!!!
  • Yes RUSTY, third time lucky. Despite showery day predicted, I went io State Library. I solved some mysteries, but others still unknown. Chatted to one of the staff about family history, yeay, a human not family! On way home I called into local library to collect a book that I had requested months ago. A new book, obviously popular, long waiting list. I arrived home just a few minutes before yet another thunderstorm hit. Our rainfall this month has been (so far) twice the December average. Saturday's wash is dry at last in garage. Must away to check supermarket specials & prepare tomorrow’s food shopping list.

• RUSTY - 23 of you!! How jolly that will be. Sorry the French Group buffet was cancelled.

AQ - Glad you managed your mission in the end. Must be satisfying to solve at least one mystery. Some people don't seem to be bothered about family history, but I find it fascinating. My d.in law is interested in all of ours, in all of our families, I'm glad to say. She is copying the many photo albums I have from my family and I'm trying to label each picture- quite a task!!
  • I meant to come on last evening to describe our disastrous day, but was too tired as bedtime approached. Don't worry, nothing wrong!

We decided to liven up a wet Monday by going out for lunch in our favourite garden centre, and having a poke around. We drove there, about 20 minutes, to find a queue of cars in the road. By the time we reached the entrance we were able to ask a man what was going on. He said that they had lost power supply so had to remain closed!

We drove away, with many others. What to do, now? We didn't want to go to a pub (there are many of those) so I suggested going a bit further to the sister garden centre which is in a nearby town. We drove there - about half an hour in total, and found space in the busy car park. Of course, by now it was prime time for lunch and so it was really busy. My OH joined the enormous queue for ordering food whilst I guarded our table. He waited about 20 minutes in the queue only to be told that food was being served but could be another half an hour arriving!

If I'd known, I would have said let's go home, but he ordered before telling me. So we sat. And sat. It was indeed at least another half an hour before my cheese & ham toastie and my OHs baked potato arrived. I didn't tell him,  but it wasn't even particularly good :-( A limp bit of lettuce & half a dozen crisps were with it. Then we trawled around the Christmassy displays. I bought one roll of wrapping paper, & a squeaky toy for Bonnie! We eventually got back home about 3 or more hours after leaving, tired and ready for a cuppa!

• Today is damp but dry. I've been writing my once-a-year letters to friends. The pigeons in the garden look as limp as the wet bushes and the lawn is soggy.

I've just received a lovely picture of our little Rosie in her white sheet, and tinsel halo, after being in the school nativity today. Aw.