Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 December 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

The day was weirdly warm here, so I sat on my enclosed porch for awhile and gave myself a haircut. The male cardinal visited his old nest at the end of my porch (there must be dead insects he's eating). Then, he helped himself to some weed seeds. I always leave the tall weeds at that end of the porch because he likes ro eat those seeds all winter. HIs bright red feathers were very Christmasy. 

This is a hard time of year for lots of folks. Also, I know many of you are facing challenges and rough days right now. My thoughts are with all of you, and I wish I could lighten your burdens. 

Hugs and love to all.

• SunnyKate2: I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Sending you strength tonight.
  • Cirrus: Thanks for letting us know about Quiet Woman. I remember her unusual screen name from some years back....

Diane: Thank you again. Hope you're doing okay.

Had an almost normal day today, but will be busy again next week. Tomorrow am going with my daughter to see her horse; it'll be a nice change from Home Depot! :-)

Take care everyone.
  • Diane - thank you for starting us off. I like the scene you describe of the red cardinal visiting.
    Annette - enjoy your morning out with your daughter.
    It is dull again with heavy rain! Yuk. I went to the ladies meal at the golf club. 4.30 start. A good attendance and most convivial. A very good meal too. I stayed for the mince pies and quiz but quietly left before the “entertainment” started. Not my cup of tea. The journey home (less than 10 minutes) was quite scary. Very strong winds and branches down on the roads. I could see that my bins had blown over but I left them. I have been out to rescue them just now and to check my roof. I think it is OK. There are a couple of suspect tiles on the side. A friend is coming tomorrow to put up my outside Christmas lights so I will ask him to look at them (only from the ground of course!!!) I also have a panel of next doors shed in my garden! It has knocked one of the bird feeders squew wiff and all the seeds are now on the ground. The squirrels and wood pigeons are having a field day!!! My neighbour is at work so, no doubt he will deal with his roof panel when he gets home!!!! I can’t move the feeder until he does that!
  • Thank you Diane and once again you paint a picture with your words.

I spent most of the night listening to the wind and praying that my 1910 roof tiles will still be there in the morning but thankfully they knew how to build houses in those days.

My road of cottages were built by the Garrett Family for their workers as they had a one of the first engineering works making steam engines here in Leiston and we have a museum a few minutes walk from my cottage that tells you all about it. Of course when the 1st World War started the works were swapped to making armanents. We still have The Engineers Arms pub in the town opposite the works and thats is where the men would head to after work.

I hope all in the path of the strong winds yesterday escaped any damage.

Have a good week all.

• Hurrah, I haven't been able to post for two days.

I am also sorry about your sad news SunnyKate2. Sending strength and positive thoughts.

OG, please continue to post on here. You are always the practical person. None of us are in our first flush of youth, and could have problems, either our own or OH's at any time. Having a moan on here is a good thing. Everyone understands.
  • Diane, I think we would all like to visit you and see your wonderful local wildlife (apart from the spiders)
  • RUSTY Glad you got home safe and sound.

HARELADY Interested to read some of the history of where you live..

We lived in Shetland for 2 years and this in a place notorious for it"s winds. We didn't lose a roof tile. Our first winter here we were not so lucky!!
  • Thank you, Diane. (I did wonder for a brief moment if you were going to say you'd given your discarded hair to the birds! I know that some people do brush their hair in springtime and donate it as nesting material)

We had a wild might, too and I was not surprised to see that a dead tree next door had lost a large branch where it leans over our fence. It had come down directly on top of my biggest bird feeder pole and flattened it. My OH went out after breakfast to rescue it and cut up the branch. The bird feeder is alright and we've put it back up again.
  • This made me laugh! I don't fancy Diane's spiders, either!!