Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 December 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

The day was weirdly warm here, so I sat on my enclosed porch for awhile and gave myself a haircut. The male cardinal visited his old nest at the end of my porch (there must be dead insects he's eating). Then, he helped himself to some weed seeds. I always leave the tall weeds at that end of the porch because he likes ro eat those seeds all winter. HIs bright red feathers were very Christmasy. 

This is a hard time of year for lots of folks. Also, I know many of you are facing challenges and rough days right now. My thoughts are with all of you, and I wish I could lighten your burdens. 

Hugs and love to all.

• It was cloudy but visibility was good as we were charmed by the pretty pastel coloured houses and buildings -

• I'm still here and reading all your news but can't type very well with my right hand.
    Still in hospital and getting physio every day.
    Regards to everyone !
  • It looked so peaceful. We were told that it was one of the last ports visited by the Titanic before she left land on her first & last voyage. It must have been a dramatic sight for the local people to see the famous ship come in.

• Heather-- Good to hear from you!! And you've done well to manage to write us a message. I do hope that you're feeling much better and you'll be able to get out of hospital for Christmas.
  • It was dry but by the time we prepared to get off and explore, it began to drizzle. I liked this dramatic church which reached upwards from the smaller buildings of the little town.

• A lot of people had booked to go to Cork for the day on outings, to see their famous cathedral and the city. We decided to just walk around, as we had other trips booked for later on in the voyage. It was very wet, with the kind of drizzle which soaks you right away! We walked up a hill and found a lot of wonderful small shops of the kind I've not seen since I was quite young.

The locals were smiley and welcoming. My OH went off without me as he was much faster on his own,  and he wanted to buy an adapter for his music player. He disappeared, so I stood under an awning and admired some nice fashions in a window. Then I realised that I was getting very wet! -- I was directly under where the decorative awning of the shop was funnelling the rain down straight onto my head, LOL!  Good job we had bought new raincoats with hoods for our trip! 

• Nice pics Lindy. I was wondering if I had missed your further adventures on your cruise.

Good to hear from you Heather.
  • HEATHER Pleased to hear from you. I do hope your physio treatment enables you to get home soon.
  • Heather - really good to hear from you. Good effort at the typing. Keep doing the physio. I hope the hospital food is edible!!!
    Lindy - sorry your sis in law is unwell. There seem to be a lot of these colds about at the moment. Sensible to see the doc if it is going in her chest. Shame the family meal had to be cancelled. Thanks for the travelogue re the entry into t rather damp Cork. AQ - well done with the parcel wrapping. I have done 3 which will be given tomorrow when I meet some of my former colleagues and friends.
    Dibnlib - glad you are feeling quite a bit better.
    Pat - I dread those Christmas meals where you get the pre sliced processed turkey. At least the rest was OK. I am having duck breast with all the trimmings too and I have bought a smoked salmon starter from M&S.It is currently in the freezer. Haven’t decided on a pud yet. It may just be cheese and biscuits.
    I have been out with the lady birders today to Burton Mere Wetlands RSPB on the Wirral. What a great reserve it is. The new cafe is open too so we went there for lunch. We saw 42 species of birds!!! Brilliant in 3 hours,
    Mini rant alert!!! The vast majority of birders on the site are great and share sightings etc. We were walking back from the far hide when we encountered 2 men. One of them said “what’s this? The mother’s Union?” !!!!!!!!!!!!! As you can guess, we were not amused. We are all pretty competent birders (especially on our local patch) and our leader is a big cheese in the Welsh BTO. We didn’t say anything but we were a bit shocked in this day and age!!! As I said, the vast majority of birders accept our tips, show us sightings and compare notes. They were the exception but honestly!!!!!!
  • Rusty - That's awful!! Reminds me of a particular group of men I used to meet on the golf course. Their regular line was, 'How come you're not at home doing the washing up?' They got The Look - but it didn't really matter because they said exactly the same thing the next week!!! Did they think they were saying something clever? Or original? Or amusing?

Heather - So good to hear from you. Hope all the treatment and physio is helping, and that you will soon be back at home.

Lindy - Enjoying the continuation of your travelogue. I don't think I went into Cobh, although I did visit Cork. I was driving, not cruising! The picture of the sea-front properties look a bit like an expanded Tobermory ... pretty pastel houses.