Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 November 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone is safe and secure from the flooding and other perils of the big storm. My thoughts are with you all. Also, I'm sending healing to Heather.

I heard a wild turkey in the neighbors' side of the woods this week. I didn't see the bird, but the gobble call was unmistakable. I didn't look for it, because it was probably seeking safe haven from the hunters (Thanksgiving is coming here). I left it in peace.

I hope everyone has a good week (with sunshine!).

• Rusty: That sounds and looks like an ideal 'busy' day. Don't think I've had one of those in eons!
  • AQ What a beautiful bird.

Was shocked by this.....My friend decided she needed another motorised wheelchair and they went to "Ablecare" where they have spent a great deal on her existing chair. They were quoted £2800 for a new lightweight chair. They now have the new chair which they bought on line. It cost them £1700 with free carriage and next day delivery though it did take 2 days which is the norm for The Highland.
  • AQ: Good Lord - a close relative to the extinct Dodo. And so gorgeous - and friendly? That's interesting. I was wondering if it had escaped or was released by someone who'd previously had it as a pet.... Stunning coloring.
    Wonder what the next surprise appearance will be; there seem to have been a flurry of them lately.

dibnlib: That is a big difference in price. On a much smaller scale, the gardener told me I could be a large amount of sprinkler heads online for the price of two small packages at the local store.

Heather: Are you doing better? Have you organized one of those alarm things? You can wear them around your neck. My niece wanted my BiL to wear one (rejected out of hand) and has asked him to keep his cell phone with him when in the garden, but he either doesn't bother or forgets.

Busy here again. Gardener came by yesterday, got on the roof and cleaned out the gutters. I used to get up on the ladder and do it but last year didn't and gutters were chockful of leaves and other debris. Rain forecast for next week....

Take care everyone.
  • I had flu shot and covid shot in left arm and the RSV shot in right arm. Have never had a reaction to a vaccination shot before but was quite ill for a day after. Was it because I had 3 shots or was it the RSV shot which I had never had before. Oh well, I survived, but might not do 3 at a time next year!

• bjane - I had never heard of RSV vaccine and looked it up. It doesn't appear to be licenced in UK. But it looks as though it could prevent some very nasty things. So sorry you had a bad reaction to something. So far I haven't had any reaction to either flu or Covid injections. But I know some people have been quite ill with one or other. Hope you're OK now.
  • Been to Leeds today on the train. Had lunch with schoolfriends from 60 years ago!! We haven’t changed, (at least we don’t think so!!)
    Back tomorrow with replies etc.
  • Hey, bjane. I'm so sorry you were ill. I hope you feel better now! You might want to take a look at the answers to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) here on the U.S. Centers for Disease Control website. This is the official U.S. government site. After I saw your post, I read some information there that I wasn't aware of. This info may answer your questions. Take care.

www.cdc.gov/.../older-adults-faqs.html
  • Thanks Diane- I read the info. My Cardiologist had suggested that I have the vaccine. I am glad that it's good for 2 years, though I would still get it every year if I had to. I'm definitely pro-vaccine. I noticed that it has an ingredient that the Shingles vaccine has. That was not a pleasant shot, so maybe that is why. Thanks again
  • bjane: I haven't had the RSV shot but if it has the same ingredients as the Shingles shot, I can understand the ill effects; it's the only one I've ever had a nasty reaction to.