Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 October 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and a great October!

We've had an interesting phenomenon here in the Great Lakes/Midwest, including Indiana. Flamingos have been showing up on Lake Michigan and the Ohio River. Their presence here is unprecedented. They are tropical birds native to Central/South America, although some do appear in Florida.

Some scientists have speculated that the birds were blown here by Hurricane Idalia. Personally, I think that sounds odd because the hurricane traveled up the east coast of the US. The winds didn't impact the Midwest. (But nobody asked my opinion lol.) I hope the birds leave soon, because they won't survive our winter.

Hugs to all.

https://www.wishtv.com/weather/weather-stories/unprecedented-flamingo-sightings-continue-in-indiana/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/flamingos-wisconsin-tropical-birds-visit-lake-michigan-beach-103437623

• HAPPY BiRTHDAY Dibnlib

Hope you will enjoy your day

• Happy Birthday from me as well Dibnlib. Any celebration planned?
  • Having the “family conference” today to try to make plans for some sort of move for the three of us with suggestions from both daughters – elder one coming here, the other on facetime.

ANNETTE – you mentioned tree work on your Chinese Elm – what happened about the broken one in the street last week?

RUSTY – pleased you got to visit your friend and that she will be able to visit on Sunday.

LINDY – things now waiting to be done: trousers delivered three weeks ago – waiting for measuring to go and get shortened; new indoor ramp for front door needing fettling to fit – I currently have to be bumped up and down; J’s new curtains need hanging – but at least they have been checked for size; and I forget the fourth thing! (Oh, yes I remember now – new bell push to be fitted!) This is all extra to the routine stuff and the huge pile of ironing as the one cleaner who usually irons concentrated on cleaning when she came on her own! I hope you are having a drier weekend in Wales this time. We are south of the worst rain today – but mysteriously no trains north of Preston – not even around Carlisle! Not that I ever use trains, but I feel for those who do.

SUNNYKATE – whatever is it?
  • Unknown said:
    SUNNYKATE – whatever is it?

Hi OG.

Ha!!! its that little bit of plastic on the right photo that fits around the neck of eyedrops bottles ( picture on left)

you then can hold over your eye and squeeze to insert the drop.

much less hassle than when you try to squeeze those tiny bottles, as the flaps are large and makes the squeeze so much more comfortable, especially with arthritic fingers.

and of course they are reusable , as you slip it off the bottle  ready for the next insertion.

Hope that makes sense for you.

• Happy Birthday Dibnlib. Have a lovely day.
    OG - I hope the family meeting goes satisfactorily. It can’t be a very nice prospect I am sure.
  • dibnlib - A very happy birthday. Hope you are planning a nice walk, if the weather co-operates. I gather Scotland isn't doing very well at the moment, while we in the south east are bathing in wonderful sunshine and blue skies, and expecting a heat wave next week!
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DIBNLIB!

OG: I hope your meeting goes well.
  • Thank you for my birthday wishes. PAT O you are right, the weather here today is dreadful. We are out to EdenCourt this evening to see "The Bodyguard" . It must be good as Erica saw it twice during the week. Next week we will go down to our favourite hotel in Pitlochry for 2 nights. I do hope the weather improves as of course we will be taking Benson and hoping for a couple of nice walks.

We met up with a friend at Brodie yesterday. She is off to Nepal in a weeks time. This will be her 5th visit and hopefully not her last. I look forward to seeing all her amazing pics.

OG I hope all goes well with the family get together,
  • Many happy returns, Dibnlib. Sorry you haven't got the weather - must be our fault, as it's glorious here!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.