Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 October 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and a great October!

We've had an interesting phenomenon here in the Great Lakes/Midwest, including Indiana. Flamingos have been showing up on Lake Michigan and the Ohio River. Their presence here is unprecedented. They are tropical birds native to Central/South America, although some do appear in Florida.

Some scientists have speculated that the birds were blown here by Hurricane Idalia. Personally, I think that sounds odd because the hurricane traveled up the east coast of the US. The winds didn't impact the Midwest. (But nobody asked my opinion lol.) I hope the birds leave soon, because they won't survive our winter.

Hugs to all.

https://www.wishtv.com/weather/weather-stories/unprecedented-flamingo-sightings-continue-in-indiana/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/flamingos-wisconsin-tropical-birds-visit-lake-michigan-beach-103437623

• Diane: Thank you. Wild about the flamingos, but looking at the map of where they've been spotted.... Still, do hope they know their way home.

AQ; Thanks for clarifying whale story.

Lindybird: I'd vote for that sentence for the guy who took down that tree. I can't imagine his motive.

Have a good Sunday all.
  • DIANE – Thank you for the new week. Early start? I’m confused today as daylight saving began. I woke in the dark, heard the planes taking off and thought, oh, it’s gone 6 am.

LINDA – I like your punishment for treeloppers!

Another whale story. This one positive.

• I have been unable to post for several days as ' an error" keeps occurring.

Interesting about the flamingos DIANE. I also hope they know the way home.

Annette, apparently the suspect for cutting down the tree had recently been evicted from farmland leased by his father. He had thought that he had inherited it, but it appears not so. He was a retired lumberjack, and apparently it was a professional job.
  • Good Morning (just) and many thanks to Diane for starting us off, and also for the hug - much appreciated! A Happy October to All. How did we suddenly swoop into winter whilst I'm only just putting our shorts away? The year gathers pace as it goes....

That's interesting about the tree cutter, Rusty - makes sense as I noticed right away what a clean cut it was, although the dopey News people didn't seem to notice. Lets hope the Law can fall upon him with some strength, although I'm not holding my breath.

Plenty of rain here,and my OH is cleaning the tiles we put up in the kitchen nearly a year ago, and putting some spray onto the grouting which apparently helps stop it from discolouring through grease which of course happens in a kitchen. I had to persuade him to only do a section at a time, mainly because to do it all, he needs to move all the stuff I have on my worktops. However much I try for the minimal look, the breadbin and the saucepans and the spice racks still reign supreme, here!

Will go back and look at AQs links now.
  • Surprising about the flamingos, Diane. Poor things probably don't know where they are, now. I don't hold out much hope for them.

AQ - Good to hear of a happy ending for the young whale - and that she found her mother who mustn't have abandoned her. There was a similar story here recently about two seals caught in a net, which were released by some kind individuals and then they galloped back across the sands into the sea again.

The Petrel can't be the only one there - well done to the person who identified it. Always mind boggling how far these birds travel, can't imagine how they do it.
  • Diane - thank you for starting off a new month. Rather worrying about the flamingos though. Do you think they will head back south? I do hope so.
    Lindy - jobs in the kitchen are always disruptive aren’t they? I hope all turns out well.
    I have been out for a walk now that the rain has stopped. The golf is too tense. I can’t watch!!! A friend has just had a cataract operation so I called in to see how she is doing. She is happy with the outcome so far. The other friend who had the major operation last Monday came home last night. It’s too soon to go and see her but we are in touch by text. She has been told it went to plan. Her OH is very capable so she will be well looked after.
  • Morning all:

AQ What a wonderful treat for the folks who put up those cameras!

Rosy: So the idiot took out his frustration on a landmark tree. Good heavens. Too late for anger management classes.

Rusty: Hope your friend's convalescence goes smoothly.

Off to see daughter's horse at the therapeutic center, where he's been named "Horse of the Month"! :-))
  • I thought I had done a post but it isn’t here. I will have another go.

On my walk I posted a card. It appears we have a new post box topper. It has an autumnal theme.

• Lovely knitting!!

I forgot to put on some photos I took in the week, in the garden. It's so cheering when there are things still popping up colourfully as the trees begin to turn.

Mallow.