OFF-SEASON 2023-24 - FEEDERS & OTHER CRITTER CAMS

Continuing THOMO's LG feeder, and including other cams as per title.

First, some LG feeder snaps & vids from the past couple of days.

Female & male GSWs, joined up by trickery - you may notice that the peanut tube is misshapen Stuck out tongue winking eye

Nasty Great Coal Tit:

No trickery for the 2 Blue Tits:

Now for the torture - I just cannot figure out Greenfinch or female Chaffinch:

This was in flight so has had to be sharpened a lot:

Little vid:

No mistaking the evening Crestie!

IMAGICAT

• Thanks scylla and Wendy but I can't get the quote function to work. I hope RSPB Kylie sorts out the ordering of posts very soon as it's really driving me nuts. Why can't we just have them all in the order in which they're posted, even if folk are replying to previous posts? We used to have that system. I reckon a lot of people aren't posting these days as it's all just too messy. Grr.

• New 2024 Osprey season nest threads

I wonder who's starting which?  There are some which are no-brainers, like Sandra with LotL (and at least Foulshaw Moss last season) and Karen with Manton Bay, Korky's doing LG, and Colin will probably start Dyfi, Richard did a superb Alyth OP last season, then Glider took it under her all-encompassing wingspan and did us proud...

Given my well self-publicised and worsening tech traumas* having aggravated my usual ditz-headedness, I don't feel fit to commit to very much, but have just done some digging and think I can manage something reasonable for Glaslyn (altho their website blogs haven't been updated for 2023) - please don't hesitate to object!

*A precious picture editor will not work on any snaps taken on Windows 11, despite running the Windows Compatibility Troubleshooter   It's only used for a couple of purposes but there's no alternative I can find... It will still work on snaps taken on Windows 10 but that's not much use.

I should find out soon if my broken laptop has been or can be repaired, it's not hopeful.

Fingers crossed

IMAGICAT

• oh dear oh dear. I'm so sorry  to hear more of your tech traumas Scylla . If I had a spare 2K  I'd gladly replace your laptop for you but , sigh, I have no such thing. Sadly, I really cannot commit either. Just  glad the Reply button seems to be behaving itself for me again. 

• Reply button playing up for me again, have come to the one under first post to say that I'm fast going off the idea of Windows 11, maybe I can get a laptop with Win 10?  So sorry to hear of your ongDisappointed relievedng problems Scylla Disappointed relieved, do hope that old laptop can be repaired Fingers crossed

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thank you, CIRRUS and WENDY - sorry to wail on about it but I'm getting to the end of my tether and am in a horrendous disorganised mess!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

©️BywydGwylltGlaslynWildlife Facebook

March is fast approaching and with it the first arrivals of British Ospreys to their nests. This year for the first time since 2005 our eyes will not be looking up in anticipation of seeing the large dark silhouette of Mrs G heading up the valley towards the Glaslyn Nest. Mrs G was regularly the first breeding Osprey to return to Wales.

We will of course be keeping our eyes to the skies for the arrival of the other Ospreys in the Glaslyn Valley and in particular Aran and Elen. Aran has only once arrived back during March, generally arriving in early April. Elen was first seen on April 3 last year, the same day that Aran returned, she was quite early for a non-breeding bird. Will she be in more of a hurry to return now that she has raised her first brood?

Last year the first resident Osprey back in the Glaslyn Valley was Z2/Aeron. He returned to the FotO Pont Croesor nest on March 29. His mate Blue 014 arrived back the following day, a whole 12 days earlier than the previous year! Who will be the first bird to return to the Glaslyn Valley this year?

Here is the link to the Glaslyn Nest Key Dates from our website.
    https://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/glaslyn-osprey-key-dates/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mojave

Whoever was this?!  It looks rather weasely but not the face shape - the video isn't at all clear, unfortunately:

IMAGICAT

• I wonder who's starting which?  There are some which are no-brainers, like Sandra with LotL (and at least Foulshaw Moss last season) and Karen with Manton Bay, Korky's doing LG, and Colin will probably start Dyfi, Richard did a superb Alyth OP last season, then Glider took it under her all-encompassing wingspan and did us proud...
  • Well I'm having to reply to my own post in which I quoted scylla, because I can't seem to add anything after scylla's sensible summary. Sounds good scylla - one more to add - Arkaig (Geemeff?). I very much hope this site is sorted before all the ospreys start returning ie. all posts put in date order or I will blow a gasket

• Hi Scylla,

Firstly what on earth has happened to the chats? Very disorientating!

Anyway, I'm sure someone has pointed this out already but I do know you like some little birdie ID help, your greenfinch is (as you suspected)  a female chaffinch - 2 white wing bars and in the flying shot you can see white edges to the tail - neither of these are found on greenfinches which have extensive yellow patches

Here's looking forward to next month.

• Firstly what on earth has happened to the chats? Very disorientating!

It's our new system, @Hoppy Hank (and it can't find your ID to create an alerting link - lots of Hanks and lots of Hoppys but no Hoppy Hank)... we're all waiting for the tech peeps to act on our "complaints", which they are trying to do, we are assured.

In the meantime you'll no doubt get tricked again into responding to rather old posts like my greenfinch one.  And you know I'll never learn!

Yes, looking forward to next month.

IMAGICAT

• Have been foraging through Mojave rodents and can only find these two which could be it ... wonder if it's tail has been stripped of fur??

Not a very satisfactory answer!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr