OFF-SEASON 2023-24 - FEEDERS & OTHER CRITTER CAMS

Continuing THOMO's LG feeder, and including other cams as per title.

First, some LG feeder snaps & vids from the past couple of days.

Female & male GSWs, joined up by trickery - you may notice that the peanut tube is misshapen Stuck out tongue winking eye

Nasty Great Coal Tit:

No trickery for the 2 Blue Tits:

Now for the torture - I just cannot figure out Greenfinch or female Chaffinch:

This was in flight so has had to be sharpened a lot:

Little vid:

No mistaking the evening Crestie!

• I did enjoy the little sweet videos Scylla, thank you. Didn't the Jay look small next the close up of the Magpie ! And I did click on the thumbs up box  but it wouldn't register my thumbs up !!

Anyway, it's dis appointing about the LG feeder . I wish a certain neighbour of mine would put out shelled peanuts for the local squirrels - he has artificial turf but no doubt the wretched greys leave as big holes in it as they do in my lawn  burying the monkey nuts and  walnuts. Grrrrrrr.  It's never cold enough in  England for the greys to hibernate and I am so fed up of my bulbs being dug up or eaten or both. 

• RSPB Loch Leven feeder

28 December visitors:

The Squirrel with the "scar" (it could be dirt, of course):

Then it bucketed down:

The Robin didn't take any nuts - it looked perplexed and left, returned and left with nothing again!

It was a very wet evening and night, this Squirrel was first in in the morning - quite late!

Later, a repeat of all the birds from yesterday, plus a Magpie came twice but didn't have sufficient corvidsense to use the lid:

• Before dawn yesterday morning the Pine Marten spent over 6 minutes raiding the squirrel feeder - s/he's very adept!

The Pied Wagtail was on the Manton Bay nest again yesterday lunchtime.

• Mojave

One or more of the Coyotes likes to eat the salad and our hosts are pleased that they eat the berries the squirrels turn up their noses at.  On the morning of the 31st they were especially skittish:

Our hosts were out early, getting the garden ready for a new day and the special night:

They suddenly started streaming a ground-level cam which downloader automatically picked up instead of the usual view.  I recognise some of the birdies from Starr Ranch (which is also southern California) and there's a closer view of a Gambel's Quail but I could only get a bending-over pose showing its fascinator.  Not certain if the Finch is a House or Purple, I suspect the former in this area, then there's maybe an immature White-crowned Sparrow and an adult.  Corrections welcome !!!

Missed out the Dark-eyed Junco!

Downloader has gone into crash-mode again so I'm in bits.

• Such great footage Scylla ... is there not a better downloader available?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• 01 January 2024

Manton Bay

The Pied Wagtail flew (without even opening its wings) after a good forage on the nest:

Long time no see... or hear !!!   Rofl

• WendyBartter said:
    is there not a better downloader available?

Definitely not, unfortunately.  These crashes are only happening to me and they started when Microsoft did something to my system in a Windows Update, I started getting internal network probs at the same time.  There are no "crash dumps" or any clues as to what the thingummyjig is going on Tired face

If I restart soon after a crash it just crashes again, but if leave it for several hours it should be fine, until the next time.

• That's what puts me off upgrading to win 10 or 11, had it for a little while and it was constantly updating and altering stuff, never knew where I was half the time! Am a confirmed luddite! Rolling eyes

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• 03 Jan

Makov Rescue Centre

The pond's been emptied for cleaning, not yet refilled.  A pussycat took advantage to cross it - and the Mouflon has a new dressing:

Mojave

It was a nice surprise to find the cam transferred to the ground view - but even then I can't do you a clear vid of a Kangaroo Rat because of glare.

However !!!

Another surprise when the Bobcat turned up past its bedtime, shortly before the flocklets of little birds arrived, and it may have caught one of the scouts - maybe the title should be "Did the late Bobcat catch the early bird?"  Stuck out tongue winking eye

• I reckon the Bobcat missed the little bird! At least, I hope so ThinkingFingers crossed

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr