• Link to season’s opening post here

Link to July 2023 - here

RECAP

FLORA HK0 arrived 30 March 2023

HARRY (unringed) arrived 4 April 2023

EGG No.1 laid 15 AprilHatched 21 May (37 days)  Fledged 9 July aged 49 days

EGG No. 2 laid 18 AprilHatched 23 May (36 days)  Fledged 14 July aged 52 days

EGG No. 3 laid 21 AprilHatched 25 May (35 days)  Fledged 20 July aged 56 days

Due to the height of this nest, no ringing of the chicks takes place.

This has been a dramatic month with chick #1 getting a thin piece of plastic wrapped around its ankle for a few days, (Flora has a love of bringing plastic to the nest) chick #2 turning out to be quite aggressive, especially to chick #3 and chick #3 not getting much to eat on a lot of days. However, the three chicks are still here and seem to be doing okay. The fish brought to the nest can be sporadic and mostly small but each juvenile usually manages to get something to eat. #3 is getting more confident in snatching the fish as they arrive. We’ve had a couple of scares with Flora twice tumbling off the side of the nest with a juvenile but luckily no harm done. Flora wasn’t seen for 3 days (24-26 July) but is thankfully back and providing for the nest. 

#1 has been taking fish off the nest to eat since 17 July (58 days old) so I am expecting this juvenile to be the first to begin migration but who knows! It’s still a few weeks away so hopefully the fish supply will include a few big ones to fatten these young ospreys up for their long journeys ahead. 

Today, 1 August,  the juveniles are 72, 70 and 68 days old. 

The family at the beginning of the month

and now the three juveniles

Flora and Harry delivering fish

All captures and videos ©️ SSEN Transmission

• 12.22.  #2 joins #3 after she’s finished her fish.

#2 chooses to sit on the perch. Another Osprey flies by, the juveniles are defending their nest. 12.23

Intruder magnified

The chicks are unsettled on and off. Perhaps the intruder hasn’t left the area,

13.37 Harry arrives with fish #6.  #2 has flown onto the nest to receive it. #3 still hasn’t eaten the one he got earlier.

#2 takes the fish from behind Harry

Harry starts chipping on the nest

The youngsters are joining in with dad.

13.37 Harry flies off

2 ospreys are seen in the sky. (magnified) Presumably Harry and the intruding bird.

#3 lies on his fish

#2 lies on hers too

13.46 At last the juveniles are able to eat their fish.

14.19 #3 has stopped eating as #2 carries on

14.26 Here we go again - intruder alert

14.29 The intruder appears high behind the nest.

• Sandra P said:

Afternoon Glider,

Good grief,  what a super dad Harry is! 

—————————————————————————————————————————

Good evening Sandra. I couldn’t get off my iPad as the fish kept coming in! Smile

It slowed down in the afternoon as there has been at least one intruder around. 

• 14.39 The two juveniles continued to defend the nest, calling loudly.

14.55. It’s so blustery up there today, both juveniles are closing their eyes in the wind.

15.53 #2 had finished her fish earlier, #3 is now nearing the end of his.

15.55 and #3 finally swallows the last of his fish that he received at 10.33 this morning! 

16.00. #3 keeps looking at #2 as if he’s going to charge at her. #2 decides to leave.

• 16.06. #2 returned to the perch.

After half an hour, #3 decided to leave.

16.40 #2 flew onto the nest

16.54 Looking quite comfy there! 

• 17.57 #2 was on the nest when Harry arrived with fish #7 a flatfish this time.

17.59 #3 arrived

18.50 The last piece of fish is swallowed. The rain is on now, not a nice evening.

• 19.31 #2 leaves

19.34 #3 leaves

20.11. Empty nest

It’s been an eventful day. 4 fish for #2 and 3 fish for #3 with long spells of intruding Osprey(s) 

No sign of Flora today. She delivered a fish yesterday morning at 08.26.

• Saturday 12 August

One of the juveniles flew to the nest in the early hours and slept there all night to claim its spot. 01.06 

In the morning it defended the nest, knocking its sibling off when it tried to land. 05.40

07.55 Dive bombing now. 

I think it’s #3 who has taken control of the nest, with #2 trying to get back on.

Hopefully it’s another good fish day.  BBL

• I can only scroll back to 09.30 so don’t know if there’s been any fish before then. I’ve only seen two since then, both flatfish from Harry.

16.04 #2 on the nest

16.05 #3 arrives as Harry leaves

16.27 #2 ate the fish on the nest

NEXT FISH

18.57 #2 lands on the nest

18.57 Harry flies in with another fish

18,58 #3 arrives

19.10 After just over 10 minutes, #3 chases #2 off the nest with her fish.

• Sunday 13 August

Live stream is down this morning Worried
  • There was some rewind before the cam went down. An early arrival to the nest this morning. 05.19

05.29 The juvenile was calling and there was a reply in the distance.

08.03.48 The last view before the cam went off. 

I think it’s #3.