Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 July 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL SUPERMOON!

The moon turns full on Tuesday, 1 August, in the UK and the US. Then, on 30 August, a full Blue moon will occur (the second full moon in a month). Both are supermoons (perigean moons, which are full moons that happen at or near the exact time when the moon is closest to earth in its orbit, so they appear larger and brighter). The August Blue moon will be the closest of the year!

I hope everyone has a peaceful, joyful week. Love to all.

• Lindybird said:
    I've been missing again as I tried to post about a dozen times yesterday. Boo... so annoying.

How frustrating for you.  This problem of posting doesn't seem to affect us all equally - I very rarely have a problem while you get them much more frequently.  I don't know whether it's down to a problem with the Community itself or whether it's down to the browser.  I use Google Chrome and Limpy uses Opera and they are both fine.

The weather here today is disgusting.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - I have only been as far north as Mull before. I am still hoping for sea eagles though so am taking my binoculars even though it is not a birdwatching holiday. Yes. We are going to see the standing stones of Callanish. I just hope the weather improves. It is horrible here this morning. Dark with very heavy rain!!! Yuk! I will continue with my pre holiday cleaning accompanied by Classic FM.
    Lindy - have a lovely time with your family. The A55 won’t be much fun in this rain. I am sure they will go steadily. Sorry you were having problems posting yesterday
    I have just read that the golf course is closed. I am not at all surprised.
  • rusty2 said:
    I am still hoping for sea eagles though so am taking my binoculars even though it is not a birdwatching holiday.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

rusty2 said:
    We are going to see the standing stones of Callanish.

Lovely job.  The isles of Lewis and Harris are still pretty high on my list but the problem is Mull and all of its fantastic wildlife!

rusty2 said:
    I have just read that the golf course is closed. I am not at all surprised.

Nor am I.  Limpy is on duty at our local reserve of Trimley Marshes this morning ..... rather him than me!  I would normally go with him but I've got a much-needed haircut today.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• It's horrible here as well, so much further south than most of you. Seems pretty general - constant quite heavy rain and we still have the threat of thunder.

Clare - I seem to remember some years ago I warned you that if you got to Mull you would be hooked. Don't say I didn't warn you ...! It's the most wonderful obsession. I really need to get back there next year! I agree Lewis and Harris are still on my list - but Mull is always at the top.

Rusty - I always have binoculars with me. Birds pop up in the most unexpected places and it would be a shame to miss them. Mind you, in this horrible weather all I've seen this morning is magpies - in great number!

Keep dry and safe, everyone. I'm spending the day trying to catch up on watching programmes I've recorded over the past few weeks!
  • So, can I catch up?

Somebody objected to me describing piano as a percussion instrument! So, how do you think the sound is made? The hammers hit the strings – yes, That’s right. That is percussion!!! And, I didn’t say it is not worthwhile, I just gave my opinion as I thought the originator of the discussion intended.

RUSTY – unfortunately Mr Ginger Tom made a successful bird hunt in our garden last week - I hope he ate it on the way home then brought it up on the owners’ best carpet! I am enjoying your holiday report – sounds wonderful. I avoided North Norfolk for many years because OH grew up in Norwich, but I gave in for one excellent holiday a few years before we had to give up going south. We visited several places which you mentioned. It was the only time I ever saw a Turtle Dove – thanks for the memory! I hope you and friend will enjoy the Hebridean tour!

LYNETTE – I forget where you had booked for your holiday, but I do hope you will have a wonderful time. We only ever did one coach tour – gardens in the Midlands – thoroughly enjoyed the gardens and some great lecture evenings, but hated the coach travel!

LINDA – we too have a great number of assorted butterflies – buddleias have been full of blooms. Enjoy the visit from the family – seems impossible that they are already on the way back from their holiday!

DIBNLIB – I hope the holiday was all you expected, and not too hot.

We seem to have had less rain than most, even when it is forecast it seems to go round us; but it is quite unpredictable, so easy to get caught out when it actually happens! I think there has been a lot to the west of us, in Galloway.

Thanks for thoughts for J – he does seem a bit stronger today. I think we are having a quiet weekend – not much happening today, and then to church tomorrow (a proper service this week). We may also look in at a “Fun Day” Sunday afternoon.
  • Pat O said:
    I seem to remember some years ago I warned you that if you got to Mull you would be hooked. Don't say I didn't warn you ...! It's the most wonderful obsession.

You did, indeed!  I'm sure there must be some wonderful wildlife on the outer Hebrides as well ...... at the very least, hooded crows!

Pat O said:
    Mind you, in this horrible weather all I've seen this morning is magpies - in great number!

I love magpies, though this weather is not good for photographing them - I always want to capture the beautiful iridescence of their wings and tail.  I wonder why they are out in such numbers where you are?  I'll guess they've got a fair number of their young with them.

• Clare - yes, many of the magpies are juveniles, and they keep trying to solicit food from their parents. Who mostly tend to ignore them, as they are quite capable of finding their own food now. They are indeed very handsome, but we could do without quite so many. We have always had them in numbers here - plenty of space and ample trees. We used to have a lot of crows and jackdaws, but they seem not to have been around so much this year. Perhaps the magpies have seen them all off?

It's actually stopped raining for a few minutes, but the wind has really got up and the temperature is a mingy 15 degrees. And this is supposed to be high summer ... huh!! Just for escapism, I'm watching a programme about Patagonia - and it's covered in snow!!
  • Phew! The kitchen is cleaned! I had to put the light on would you believe?
    Yes. Clare. I expect to see hooded crows on holiday if nothing else.
    OG - glad you enjoyed my little account of Norfolk. I will try to do one about the Hebrides too. Sorry to hear that the cat got one of your birds. Glad to hear that J is feeling a bit stronger. I am with you re the piano being a percussion instrument! In books of musical instruments it is usually in that category.
    Whilst cleaning the kitchen I have been watching my flock of sparrows. I counted at least 17! They were on the ground and on the feeders. Also, a little flock of blue tits which was nice to see. The usual wood pigeon is hoovering up what the little birds drop!!!!!
  • Pat O said:
    We used to have a lot of crows and jackdaws, but they seem not to have been around so much this year.

They might have seen off the jackdaws but there's no way they could have done that with the crows.  Something else must be going on.

• OG Thank you, the holiday was never too hot, thank goodness. I think it got to about 31 degrees in Salamanca so we went into the "Art deco museum" and were completely wowed.

RUSTY That sounds a wonderful trip. I haven't been to Harris or the Uists. One Island we visited a few times when we lived in Ayr was Arran. It is in the Firth of Clyde and is named Scotland in Miniature so you can imagine how lovely it is. I do hope the weather is good and you are able to see the Harris beaches at their best. In Shetland we had the same magnificent silver beaches and turquoise seas...... a joy to behold.