Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 July 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL SUPERMOON!

The moon turns full on Tuesday, 1 August, in the UK and the US. Then, on 30 August, a full Blue moon will occur (the second full moon in a month). Both are supermoons (perigean moons, which are full moons that happen at or near the exact time when the moon is closest to earth in its orbit, so they appear larger and brighter). The August Blue moon will be the closest of the year!

I hope everyone has a peaceful, joyful week. Love to all.

• rusty2 said:
    I hope Oppenheimer doesn’t disappoint.

It didn't.  Blimey, that is one hell of a film.  What a poisonous place the US was in the Fifties.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• dibnlib said:
    We were on a river cruise, sailing in the Douro valley with Viking. It was wonderful.

It sounds wonderful.  I'm glad you had such an enjoyable time.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• RUSTY - I hope that you have had a better sleep. Thank you for your pics and news !
    DIBNLIB - The cruise sounds great !
  • Our cruise got top marks for just about everything. Our only gripe was that despite living just 6 miles from an airport that has flights to and from Amsterdam, we had to fly to and from Aberdeen which is 100 miles away as Viking don't have a contract with Inverness airport. Even worse because of the timing of the flights we had to stay in an airport hotel both outbound and inbound. It was worth it.
  • Clare - glad the film lived up to expectations.
    Heather - I slept slightly better thank you.
    Dibnlib - I remember you telling us about the airport problem. My friend and I are looking at holidays for next year. The 2 we really prefer both only have flights leaving from London. It must have been even more frustrating for you knowing that there were actually flights from Inverness which you could have used. Talking of Inverness - my friend and I will be flying there next Monday!! I can’t believe I have only had a 10 day turn around between holidays. Not ideal at all but, I need to fit in with my friend’s preferences too. We have holidayed together for many years. We are flying with Loganair from Manchester.
  • RUSTY Hope you have a lovely time. New friends we met on our holiday were having a 3 week turn around before flying to Switzerland......and I thought they were nuts!!!
  • RUSTY Think you are off to one of the islands but not sure where. What is your itinerary?
  • Dibnlib - the coach picks us up at Inverness Airport and we drive to Skye. We have 2 days there before crossing to South and then North Uist. After that we go to Harris and Lewis. We rejoin the mainland at Ullapool and spend the last night of our holiday at Gairloch. It will be all new to me so I do hope the weather behaves.
  • Hello - I've been missing again as I tried to post about a dozen times yesterday. Boo... so annoying. And I've been too busy to catch up since.

Our family are coming tomorrow on their way back from a week in Wales (a rather wet week!).

So glad you enjoyed your much looked forward to cruise, Dibnlib!!
  • rusty2 said:
    Dibnlib - the coach picks us up at Inverness Airport and we drive to Skye. We have 2 days there before crossing to South and then North Uist. After that we go to Harris and Lewis. We rejoin the mainland at Ullapool and spend the last night of our holiday at Gairloch. It will be all new to me so I do hope the weather behaves.

Oh, wow.  That sounds brilliant.  I hope the Callanish standing stones are something you'll see.  We've yet to get out that far - and I suspect that if we were planning to go out to that part of the world again our choice would inevitable be Mull.  I hope you have a fantastic time.