LOCH GARTEN - JULY 2023

I start this thread with a heavy heart, as Brodie hasn't been seen at all on Friday 30th June. The last fish delivered to the nest was at 21.11 on 28 June, over 48 hours ago. Brodie was last sighted at 09.10 hours on 29 June, over 36 hours ago.

Chick 1 hatched 'early morning' on the 4 June and chick 2 overnight on 6 June. One egg didn't hatch (maybe number 1?). There were lots of intruders during the month of June, including KL5, and last year's male Axel on the weekend of 17/18th.  Brodie has disappeared before for a couple of days, and no fish were delivered over the first weekend after hatching on 10/11th June so maybe we should keep the faith and cross all eyes, toes and fingers that Brodie will come good, recover from whatever keeps him away from his nest and chicks, and deliver a stonking fish first thing on 1 July.

Link to June 2023 thread

• Bart molenaar wrote the following post at 1 Jul 2023 12:42 PM:

I do have a question..
    I haven't seen brodie much live the past days.. but is his chest lighter coloured or is Asha's turned darker? 

I'm so late responding to this, which did strike a chord with me because I was thinking the same-ish thing - about Brodie, not about Asha.

When Brodie was on the dead tree the other day... not a very good example because it's on the PTZ and distant, but I had been thinking the same anyway.

I can't find any other suitable snaps - which isn't surprising, given that (1) he doesn't pose for us much, and (2) I just got quagmired in thousands of unsorted snaps and it's hell trying to filter them in Windows Explorer.  Sorry I can't be more illuminating, BART! Hugging

IMAGICAT

• Is there an elephant in the room? Elephant

Whistle while we wait? Musical note

IMAGICAT

• mmm, no fish today so far. Feast and famine
  • 10.21 Asha was fish soliciting an unseen Brodie - off the the left. Within the minute she flew off in that direction, and out of sight.
    10.25 She returned and landed on the nest perch
    11.44 it came over quite dark, and windy, and it started to rain. Asha left, and briefly could be heard intruder calling.
    11.51 she returned, and was greeting by chuntering from the chicks. The rain got heavier and the chicks got under her.
    12.30 the sun comes out and there is movement from under her. She remained lying on the nest, possibly shielding them from the wind as much the rain.
    12.58 She is alert, looking around, checking.
    12.59 the wind gets stronger. #1 shows how big he is now, by standing up, but gets blow down in the wind. It's safer to stay down now.
    13.59 another squally shower, and Asha covers the chicks, as best she can,.
    14.32 It passes, and Asha stands up again
    14.44 She flew off, and back with a sticky stick
    14,59 another shower, and mumbrella opens again
    15.36 the chicks emerge.
    15.57 Asha stands, and #1 tries to remind in the warmth of her feathers, unsuccessfully
    16.01 Asha stands on 'our' side of the nest, moving her head from left to right to better see something interesting
    she flies off to investigate.
    16.04 she returns with a short thick stick
    16.25 Asha flew off.
    16.51 she returned with a 'clump' if something and began moving the furniture again.
    17.31 off again. On both occasions it was to our left and behind us, as it were.
    17.40 She returned
    17.55 She is off again - and has not yet returned. She needs an hour to fish!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• She now on the perch, don't know what time she returned.

Packing up time here, SYAL Confused

IMAGICAT

• 20.36 Asha left the nest

20:47 she's back fishless

• well, another day of no fish. All very concerning.
  • And confusing, Korky. We can only assume he is guarding territory. It all seemed to be going so well.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• fish at 6.26am Asha nice fish

Morning All

• Sisters are doin' it for themselves

(c) RSPB Loch Garten