MANTON BAY - JUNE 2023

Continued from Manton Bay May 2023  

Details about the Manton Bay nest can be found on the season’s opening post.      

The season so far:  Blue 33(11) returned March 16 @ 12:58 and Maya on March 19 @ 06:54.  Maya laid four eggs - Apr 4 @ 15:52, April 7 @ 09:04, April 10 @ 07:03 and April 13 @ 08:08.  On May 12 @ 08:18 the first chick hatched followed by chick #2 @ 06:36 on May 14 and chick #3 was first seen @ 05:45 on May 17.  Chick #4 hatched @ 18:53 on May 18 but unfortunately a live fish was delivered to the nest causing havoc and the little chick died the following morning.  Chicks #1, #2 and #3 have thrived under the careful protection of Maya and Blue 33(11) who also has been a fantastic provider for his family.  

Later this month the chicks will be ringed and we will learn more about them.  

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust 

• I'm off out for the day now.

Look forward to reading the blog later when Rutland post the chicks' vitals.

SYL
  • Thanks Karen, i thought it would go ahead this morning
  • Copied from twitter::

Ringing at Manton Bay! You may have noticed that our three osprey chicks have been successfully ringed this morning. A blog will follow with further details, but we just wanted to share our 3 chicks are 3H3 - Female, 3H4 - Male and 3H5 - Female.

• Typically, I had a crash late last evening and was too "out of it" to notice, lost the whole night and early morning - and you know my skills (lack of) with YT rollback...  So I'm glad we don't have a "not like" button Grin

Just for the sake of making an effort to mark the occasion:

IMAGICAT

• Super photos, thanks for posting, BART :)))

IMAGICAT

• Maya doing her best to bring awkward sticks this morning

But at least there was fresh fish too (not too much)

• 3H4 was smart today.. 33 brought another fish while there still was a feed going on.
    3H4 then went to 33 to get some fish from him.. maya decided to share the burden and he got fed by both Maya and 33!!

Later.. Maya dumped a big stick on the girls.. they didn't take that kindly and both pecked at Maya.. She now has some stories to share with Dorcha over tea

• Morning ALL - some random captures

03:09  chicks sound asleep - nice to see the main cam back up and cleaned!

04:35 Maya grabs the fish left on the nest and starts dishing out breakfish

04:36  wing exercises

04:41  breakfish at sunrise

present - lots of preening

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust