MANTON BAY - MAY 2023

Continued from Manton Bay March/April 2023  

Details about the Manton Bay nest can be found on the season’s opening post.      

The season so far:  Blue 33(11) returned March 16 @ 12:58 and Maya on March 19 @ 06:54.  Maya has laid four eggs on Apr 4 @ 15:52, April 7 @ 09:04, April 10 @ 07:03 and April 13 @ 08:08.  The first egg is expected to hatch around 12 May. 

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust 

• Morning ALL and thanks for updates

wet start to the day but the sun is to shine later!

06:05  33 arrives with breakfish

feed gets underway

• 07:13   33 returns with another, - don't think it is the same one brought in earlier - fish

taken by Maya

Maya with her back to us blocking the view, feeds the chicks

• 09:51  still not looking that nice

09:52  Maya has taken off leaving 33 watching the chicks

she returns with a little greenery for the nest

09:58 and soon covering the chicks again

11:06  Maya picks up the fish lying front of nest

chicks gather round to be fed

present (12:06) starting to clear up 

I just hope none of the chicks get caught up in that greenery !!

• Absolutely, Karen! It looks like trailing ivy that Maya has brought in??
  • It is a worry Sandra especially as we think back as to how many times we have seen the adults leave the nest with a fish and hay attached to it.

Plus I am pretty sure it was one of the Keilder nests that one of the chicks was caught up and dragged of the nest. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I recall an incident with a chick one year.
  • It was a good day for fishing, Think 33 was a bit astonished the first fish went into the kids so quickly.. so 4 nice fish today :-)

The best scene today (i think) was when 1 & 2 got a bit impatient and started self feeding a bit (just a few bites..) with a nice view of the two at the end : They grow up quick and beautiful!