Llyn Clywedog Ospreys June 2023 - March 2024

EDITED

I thought we should have a new thread to record the development of the two chicks who hatched successfully at Clywedog this year. UPDATE. One of the chicks was killed in an attempted goshawk predation on 18 July 2023.

The introduction to the nest and happenings between March and June 2023 on this Thread©

5F Seren, the female who has been here since 2020, returned from migration on 25 March 2023. The unringed Dylan, the male since 2016, returmed two days later. Eggs were laid on 13 April, 16 April and 19 April. The first egg hatched on 20 May, and the second egg 2 days after that. The third egg has not hatched and will not do so now.

A highlight was the visit on 12 May from 496, the only chick which fledged from this nest in 2021.

Carnyx Wild provide video streams; the current stream is available here. The link to the feed changes every 12 hours. There should be 2 cameras, but one has not been streamed so far this season due to condensation in the lens; it is hoped this may be changed when the chicks are ringed.

Other links to the Facebook page and John Williams blog are on the introduction to the first thread above.

Grateful thanks to those who are gifted enough to record images and videos from this lovely, mainly tranquil, scene.

UPDATE This thread will be used to record updates on this nest and the Llyn Clywedog area before the start of the 2024 season.

All images are © Carnyx Wild and NRW.

• Unknown said:
    12.19 Dylan arrived with a nice rainbow trout. Both chicks feeding calmly. All good.

10 June (while I've actually got the RF box open!)

This morning Dylan arrived @ 04:03 with a stick! Smirk

This was the very best view of the headless fish, which blurred on the way in and one moment from landing got hidden from view... all thru the feed.  Incidentally, #2 got some bites and no bonks... but the day is young Blush

IMAGICAT

• 10.47 a.m. Dylan delivers a large whole brown trout.
  • Unknown said:
    10.47 a.m. Dylan delivers a large whole brown trout.

Suddenly the cam withdrew:

IMAGICAT

• 9.05 a.m. Dylan delivers brown trout.
  • Brown trout from Dylan for a late lunch at 14.11. A good demonstration of the advantage of moving the camera back a little at 16.03 - we could have had baked pooh on the lens if that had not happened. EDIT Another delivery at 16.56.

• I'm even more part-time than usual since the hot weather Frowning2 Sunny

I saw this live out of the corner of my eye but only just got around to finding it - but it turned out not quite so dramatic as it might have been:

13 June

Unknown said:
    Brown trout from Dylan for a late lunch at 14.11

Unknown said:
    Another delivery at 16.56

15 June

My time is a few minutes out - I speculate that it's because my clock sails on regardless of the stream buffering.

Then Dylan had to do some defending from the high perch, intruder seen passing but there's a fly too (unless I chopped it out in the final cut).

It didn't put him off fishing 'n eating:

In the evening Seren brought a clump:

I missed 20:00 to 23:30 due to switchover failure :(((

02:53 Seren took a comfort break and returned to the high perch instead of the nest - she wasn't seen on-cam again until she flew in with another clump well after daycam:

Post-prandial contentment - I haven't noticed any bonking but you may have Blush

I caught the switchover this morning and tried to check the times, but simply cculd not read the built-in clock even with Windows magnifier.

IMAGICAT

• Thank you so much for all your observations AG , much appreciated

• Dylan catching fish while the sun shines. An early perch followed by trout at 9.42, 11.56, 13.13.
  • Unknown said:
    Dylan catching fish while the sun shines. An early perch followed by trout at 9.42, 11.56, 13.13.

And another one for an early tea:

Unseen intruder:

IMAGICAT

• RAin and hail - quite heavy!

IMAGICAT