Llyn Clywedog Ospreys June 2023 - March 2024

EDITED

I thought we should have a new thread to record the development of the two chicks who hatched successfully at Clywedog this year. UPDATE. One of the chicks was killed in an attempted goshawk predation on 18 July 2023.

The introduction to the nest and happenings between March and June 2023 on this Thread©

5F Seren, the female who has been here since 2020, returned from migration on 25 March 2023. The unringed Dylan, the male since 2016, returmed two days later. Eggs were laid on 13 April, 16 April and 19 April. The first egg hatched on 20 May, and the second egg 2 days after that. The third egg has not hatched and will not do so now.

A highlight was the visit on 12 May from 496, the only chick which fledged from this nest in 2021.

Carnyx Wild provide video streams; the current stream is available here. The link to the feed changes every 12 hours. There should be 2 cameras, but one has not been streamed so far this season due to condensation in the lens; it is hoped this may be changed when the chicks are ringed.

Other links to the Facebook page and John Williams blog are on the introduction to the first thread above.

Grateful thanks to those who are gifted enough to record images and videos from this lovely, mainly tranquil, scene.

UPDATE This thread will be used to record updates on this nest and the Llyn Clywedog area before the start of the 2024 season.

All images are © Carnyx Wild and NRW.

• The changeover was early tonight but fortunately I was on the ball and moments later... FISH !!!

But it was a very slim flapper than got lost in the sticks:

• 04 August

Super fish this morning - 8B2 made slow progress with it and I waited until he evventually flew off with it... following alarm calls !!!

• Many apologies I thought I had posted the fish analysis for July. The "unidentified" ones are from the middle of the month when the 4G signal was poor and the observers couldn't get a clear id on the fish which had been caught.

• 05 August

FISH !!! !!! !!!

Not a bad helping:

The cam's only just this minnit switched off, here I go...

• 06 August

Both Seren and Dylan busy nestorising - samples only:

Rainbows!

Seren and Dylan were in and out with sticks until well past 9 o'clock.  10:15 someone waited on the perch for 20 minutes, couldn't see who it was.

Still no fish, Dylan with clump:

FISH !!! !!! !!!  8B2 ate it on the nest until flying off with a large portion @ 18:53.

Evening - Jay family:

Lost the rest of the evening/night due to being absent at switchover time.

• 07 August

05:21 someone landed on the perch... down onto the nest flew 8B2, looking sweetly our way:

Back to perch 05:39, flew away @ 05:51.

Seren arrived @ 06:43, bearing something so tiny that I couldn't make it out not no-how.

The trouble is, when you do things as you go along and you don't know what's coming next... and it's the end of the season so you don't know for certain if you'll ever see them again.

Was this worth the effort?  Anyway, thank you John or Peter Purple heartGreen heart

NO FISH... then FISH !!! !!! !!!

Only 17 minutes between Dylan leaving empty and returning with fish:

Empty nest now.

• 496 - the only chick who fledged from Clywedog in 2021 - landed on the nest at 15.39 this afternoon. He was seen here on 12 May, and very nice to see him again. Let's hope he finds a nest next year.
  • Unknown said:
    496 - the only chick who fledged from Clywedog in 2021 - landed on the nest at 15.39

I don't have anyone on the nest around that time ??? Frowning2 ...

Checking Facebook, I see it was yesterday, so let's have a look... ... ...

I was thinking, he won't easily have recognised the nest, he'd managed to get it in such a mess before he left Stuck out tongue winking eye

(Actually, it was the sticks that Dylan and Seren piled up right in front of the cam that made it look a mess - hence a serious rethink by the Powers That Be  Grinning )

I'm uploading yesterday's footage but simply cannot wait for it so I'll post it later.  He only missed Dylan by a couple of minutes !!!

EDIT 08 Aug - what a mess I'm in Tired face

(Unedited)

He was such a lovely boy to follow, special, IMHO:

I've been having a flashback to 2 days ago - I'm sure I glimpsed him at the time, out of the corner of my eye whilst doing something else - and I mentally noted that Seren wasn't looking "right" and I should check it, but that went out of the mental window...

• 08 August

8B2 (ID'd by sound) flew in to the perch @ 05:39, waited and flew away calling again @ 06:06 - once he dipped down under the nest I couldn't see which way he went:

That's it up to 07:07.