WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) Sunday, May 14 2023

Diane:  Well, I'm here.  Let's see if the site cooperates...

• ANNETTE: I personally don't use the Merlin app. It uses a lot of data, and the data plan for my phone doesn't accommodate that much usage. Also, I don't want R.T. Hawk and his mate to think I'm carrying around a gun. They are afraid of guns. However, my friend in Indianapolis is absolutely crazy about the app, and she's always excitedly telling me about birds she's identified. I think folks can get a software pack that will identify U.K. birds.
  • Yes Annette. I have had Merlin for about 3 weeks now. Obviously I downloaded the UK and Europe birds. It is really good. It helped me to identify a whitethroat before I actually saw it. I can’t get over the fact that it is free!!!
  • Diane: Read something in the NYT that Pale Male has been tentatively declared dead after a ranger in Central Park found an ailing hawk resembling PM on Monday, called in an expert rehab person who took it home, but wasn't able to save it. Nobody seems completely certain it was PM, who was/is 32.

Rusty:  I sat on the patio bench this morning hoping an American Bluebird that was on the fountain would return. It had a pretty soft song and I was just trying out the app....

• My OH came home at 4.30, after dropping a friend off on his way back. He said they'd got very wet during the 1st hour of their golf game, but then it dried up. I asked how it had gone as they played 18 holes on a strange course - he replied "Well, I wasn't last!!"

A while ago, about 6 or 7 weeks I think, I was ordering some items online and I added a nice looking beaded necklace to my order but was told that although they could still supply it, it might take some weeks to arrive. I then forgot about it. Yesterday morning, I suddenly thought "Oh, I ordered something which hasn't come yet" . Within half an hour of that thought, I heard the letterbox go bang, and there was a parcel on the mat -- the necklace arrived. (It's very nice).

When I was in the town recently, I passed an estate agents where I once worked. I left there somewhat under a cloud, as I was in effect given the sack, something which had never happened to me before. Long story. As I walked by, I wondered whether the boss there was still in charge, as he was younger than I - he must have retired, as it was over 20 years ago, when I was about 50+ When I got home that day, there were some leaflets on the mat - one of them was for the same estate agents, and it was advertising "Meet our new dynamic staff, Edward has just joined us in charge of our local branch!!"

• Annette, -- That's sad, about Pale Male. In used to follow him and the wonderful pictures shown by the local photographer of him and his life. But it's a great age for a bird to be around.
  • ANNETTE: I know people will hate me for saying this, but I'm skeptical that Pale Male lived to be 32, which is well beyond the typical lifespan of a wild hawk. Pale Male was a very prolific breeder though, and I think the pale hawk in the news stories could likely be one of Pale Male's offspring. Pale Male has become a mythic character, which I think is good because it reduces people's fear of the species.
  • ANNETTE: Bluebird's are beautiful birds, and they are purported to be good luck. :-)))
  • Diane: Wouldn't be surprised if it's a relative; we'll probably never know unless the guy himself shows up again.

Lindybird: Under a cloud? You? Very hard to believe. :-)) The guy was probably a clueless young twit. Anyway, coincidences abounding today in your neighborhood. Glad you like the necklace.

Rusty: Free is always good,
  • Ooh, things we discover on this thread - LINDA has a cloudy past. LOL. Isn’t it strange how we do not hear of or about someone or something for ages and suddenly some connection, or two or more, pop up within a short time.

Are we allowed to advertize on this thread? To give away, one OH for free. Some months ago a painting fell off its hook and cut our internet and landline. This morn OH decided to rehang said picture, on same hook. Yes, 5 mins later it fell and yes, it cut our internet. Last time repairs involved phone calls to & from provider and s-i-l. This time OH discovered the fall had pulled the plug partly out of wall. I went out into soggy muddy garden to vent on the weeds (not a good idea as I was almost bogged). Soon OH reappeared, somehow he had fixed the connection. I have banned that picture from being hung on that hook.

• Just a thought

My people skills are just fine. It’s my tolerance to idiots that needs work. (t shirt)

The law of gravity: when you’re down, everything falls on you.

Never be sure unless you know.