LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2023

Continued from March/April 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NC0 surprised us all when she arrived back at Lowes first, with Laddie making his initial landing exactly 6 hours later. She laid her three beautiful eggs after almost near-perfect, precise intervals of 72 hours between each one. Both Laddie and NC0 have regularly exchanged incubation duties and have been very attentive to protect their eggs, and nest, from multiple intrusions during April. The hatching window will open around the 10th May, all being well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)  Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)  Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)  Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatch dates: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11)  Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19)  *Egg #1 - DNH*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to blogs and updates during March/April

May Blogs and Updates (published dates)

6.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7

8.5.23 SWT video >>> Time for a Wing Stretch and Pre-Hatching Egg Close Up

11.5.23 LotL blog >>> Who’s Been On My Nest? A Closer Look at the Threats and Intrusions Faced by a Pair of Breeding Ospreys

12.5.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Chick Communicates with the Outside World

13.5.23 LotL blog >>>Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8

13.5.23 SWT video >>> First Osprey Chick of the Season Hatches

14.5.23 LotL blog >>> Concern over male osprey, LM12

15.5.23 SWT video >>> Fish Supper and First Feed for Osprey Chick

16.5.23 LotL blog >>> An update from the osprey nest

17.5.23 SWT video >>> Second osprey chick hatching 16 May 23

20.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at the Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

27.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 10

• If only Laddie and NC0 would swap places, him incubating and her fishing. Pray

It must be very difficult for Laddie to arrive at the nest, having his partner screaming to be fed and he knows he can’t provide. He’ll be hungry too. Pensive
  • Just testing the RF and it's "normal" here.  EDIT - and I now see that you're fixed, Sandra.

Sandra P said:
    I think there is still a mark in his arm pit area

Definitely, Sandra Frowning2

Little one still looking perky when NC0 took a short comfort break:

• billy r said:
    NCO went for quick flight around 15:20 chick visible and moving. Just hope it may get some food soon

Pics to go with your post, Billy

Down to settle

©SWT/LotL

• cmcd said:
    Really worried about the family. Over the last three days, I have tuned in each time to find her calling loudly and no sign of him at all. The chick won't last long at this rate. Please keep us informed of all sightings and any good news.

Hi cmcd,

Will keep doing so. ThumbsupFingers crossed 

• scylla said:

Just testing the RF and it's "normal" here.  EDIT - and I now see that you're fixed, Sandra.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, thank goodness, Scylla!

• Just seen the little one, apparently till perky. Fingers crossed.
  • Anyone recall any precedents on previous nests where the male got injured and the female went fishing in his place? Only one I can recall where there was illness/injury was at LotL in 2010 when Lady got sick and the male took over the feeding duties for chicks (and Lady I think).
  • It does seem the logical thing to do. Let him take over the nest and rest up, while she fishes.
  • Unknown said:
    Anyone recall any precedents on previous nests where the male got injured and the female went fishing in his place? Only one I can recall where there was illness/injury was at LotL in 2010 when Lady got sick and the male took over the feeding duties for chicks (and Lady I think).

This was taken from the forum’s Loch Garten diary about the incredible and much loved  EJ

2009 saw the arrival of EJ’s third partner.  Orange VS didn’t return (big sigh of relief all round).  Enter on the scene, an unringed male on 3 April who EJ was happy to accept.  This the beginning of Odin’s reign.  Everything was going smoothly, three eggs were laid and hatched, and then Odin returned to the nest trailing fishing line.  He then went missing for 36 hours.  The decision was taken to place some trout (courtesy of Tesco) on the nest to keep them going, in the hope that Odin would manage to get rid of the line.  Fortunately, this was the case and all three chicks went on to fledge, with the older two chicks being satellite tagged.

2018 was to be EJ’s final season.  With no Odin on the scene, EJ needed to find a new partner.  We weren’t impressed with her choice who was an unringed male osprey (named George) who did not appear to know what a male osprey should do (apart from in the mating department!).  His fish deliveries were sporadic and once EJ was incubating her three eggs, he failed to deliver a fish for around six days, resulting in EJ having to go and fish for herself.  This was the beginning of the end for the eggs and EJ incubated less and less, eventually abandoning them altogether. They made a good meal for a pine marten who climbed up to the nest and took them away one by one on 19 June.  As they had been sitting under the hot Scottish sun (most unusual up here) for several weeks, they may not have been very tasty!

• Yes Sandra been looking at Laddie's wing frames and think he is holding the left wing much higher than yesterday, as you say 'symmetrical' so hopefully this is an indication that it is getting better and he'll be able to fish again soon, really hope so.