LLYN BRENIG - MARCH/APRIL 2023

Link to August 2022

With last year’s male LJ2 arriving on the 6th of April and partner LM6 the 10th of April, I thought I would start a thread now for the new season in case they return earlier after a successful breeding season last year. The nest and surrounding area has recently been prepared by Welsh Water for our pair’s arrival.

Background to the nest:-

Many thanks to AG  who wrote this preface to the Llyn Brenig thread for us below.  (I’ve just edited extra information)

Llyn Brenig is a reservoir on the border between Denbighshire and County Conwy in North Wales. It is managed by Welsh Water;  the osprey project is a partnership between them and North Wales Wildlife Trust.

One pair of ospreys (Blue HR7 (M) 2014  Lake Menteith, Scotland and Blue 24 (F) 2010 nr Rutland)  raised a single chick here each year from 2018-2020,  Z9 (F) Luned, KA5 (M) Roli and KC5 (F) respectively. Sadly, KC5 died after fledging, colliding with a wind turbine.

Neither of this breeding pair returned in 2021, when the nest was taken over by 2 Scottish birds, LJ2 (male) and LM6 (female), both 2018 chicks. The nest was vandalised the night after LM6 had laid her first egg; while the two could not continue to breed they did stay close to the site until normal migration time.

A new nest was erected in 2022 with additional security and a streaming camera in place. A new hide was also built.

LJ2 and LM6 returned and successfully fledged 2 chicks, X6 Olwen (F) and KA9 Gelert (M) 

LM6 lost her blue darvic ring on the nest. It was recently recovered by Welsh Water and kept for display in the exhibition later this year. 

Links to

North Wales Wildlife Trust Page https://www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/days-out/ospreys-llyn-brenig

Welsh Water Page https://llynbrenig.com/llyn-brenig-osprey/

Osprey Project Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/brenigospreyproject

Friends of Llyn Brenig Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/FriendsofLlynBrenigBlue24

Llyn Brenig YouTube Channel for Live Stream https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_OrcBilBcFmDQ

All captures and videos ©️ NWWT, Welsh Water, Brenig Osprey Project

• Friday 14th April

Good morning Slight smile Both birds have been on and off the nest since day cam came on.

Around 07.15 unsuccessful mating attempt.

LJ2 left and LM6 remains on the nest.

• LM6 came back to the nest at 8.30. She had a good old preen.

By 10.08 she was calling for fish

And at 10.13, LJ2 arrived with a headless specimen.

LM6 had a couple of nibbles before flying off to eat the rest.

• “LM6 had a couple of nibbles before flying off to eat the rest.”

Or so I thought!

• LM6 just had a small piece of flesh in her talons and the fish was left on the nest. LM2 stared down at it.

He was bemused. He did single cheeps quietly as he looked at the fish. LM6 did a loop around the nest and flew past over the water.

LJ2 looked around and still quietly cheeped to himself. He went over to the fish to put his talons into it.

Then he changed his mind and let go.

Still unsure and quietly cheeping, he went back to the fish

and had a couple of bites.

Then he stood back again.

He paused again, corvids could be heard nearby. LJ2 decided to take the fish.

It was extremely slippery and he had many attempts to get a secure grip as his talons slid down the scales

He finally took off from the nest with the fish

flying past the tree with the corvids.

After he passed the corvids, one took off to follow him to where he’s settled on a tree pole to the right.

There was a commotion and LJ2 gave chase to the corvid. They darted and flew low to the front right of the nest.

LJ2 was next seen flying upwards and the 2nd corvid flew down to the marked area where the 1st corvid had flown. I wonder if LJ2 dropped the fish there? He’s flying high
     and leaves the scene.

• Approximately 10.45 LM6 can be heard fish calling. 3 or 4 minutes later LJ2 returns, empty taloned. Frowning2

He finds a few slithers of fish on the nest. LM6 calls loudly. 

• LJ2 then does some nestorising, LM6 still calling.

He then retires to the perch.

He stays there until about 12.05 then leaves, taking the route of the earlier fish chase. It’s long gone! He stops in the nearby tree.

Five minutes later LM6 lands on the nest. Perhaps it’s better fish calling from here?!! 

• This is pretty amazing. A few minutes before LM6 landed on the nest,  LJ2 somehow spied the fish on the ground. He swooped down from the tree he was in to retrieve it. He was quickly followed again by a corvid (that can be seen above LJ2).

After a few minutes, LJ2 flew back to the tree he had been at before. Then when LM6 was on the nest, she watched him swoop down again to the same spot. (magnified) 
     He must have missed the fish the first time. LM6 continued fish calling and at 12.20 LJ2 landed on the nest with the fish, albeit a bit dirty looking now!

LM6 goes to collect it but LJ2 flies off with it again. What is going on?!

After much fish calling, LJ2 returns with just the tiny tail end approximately 12.55

LM6 takes it in her beak then transfers to her talons before flying off. That won’t last long! 

• LM6 returns to the nest briefly at 13.17.

The nest is empty until 15.48 when LJ2 flies onto the perch. LM6 can be heard fish calling in the background.

The birds are on and off the nest and at 16.55 LJ2 flies in with a clump of grass.
     LM6 reminds him she can’t eat that! 

• There haven’t been any more fish deliveries for LM6, she hasn’t had much to eat today.

There was a successful mating though around 19.27.

LM6 was calling for fish immediately after.

She stayed on the nest and sorted some twigs out.

She is still there as darkness falls. 20.45 

• Glider said:
    his is pretty amazing. A few minutes before LM6 landed on the nest,  LJ2 somehow spied the fish on the ground. He swooped down from the tree he was in to retrieve it. He was quickly followed again by a corvid (that can be seen above LJ2).

You're so observant, GLIDER !!!  I'm ever so tired now but later I'll see if I can do a video of that unusual incident (Ospreys seldom pick up fallen fish, but I think one of the Dyfi adults did once not too many seasons ago - and must give credit to Odin, who fished out a fish from down the outside of the nest, when EJ couldn't figure it out).

IMAGICAT