LLYN BRENIG August 2022

Link to JULY 2022

Our Osprey family taken on 7th July, 2022.

Our chicks on 31st July, 2022. Olwen flying in to join her family. 

This was a new nest erected for 2022 season to replace the one vandalised in 2021 after this pair and just laid their first egg.

Our male, blue LJ2  (2018 South Argyll) arrived on 6th April 2022.

Our female, blue LM6  (2018 Menteith, Stirling) arrived on 10th April 2022.

This is our young adult osprey pair’s first successful breeding season.

First egg  25th April. Second egg 28th April. Third egg 1st May.

Eggs hatched 1st June, 3rd June, 5th June (3rd chick died on day of hatching) Broken heart

Chicks ringed ringed 4th July, chick #1 blue X6 female,  chick #2 blue KA9 male.

Chicks named  7th July - X6 Olwen - KA9 Gelert as chosen by public vote on Brenig Facebook.

8th July, it was noticed LM6’s blue darvic ring had split and fallen off her leg onto the nest on 7th July.  She now only has a silver BTO ring on her right leg.

The first born chick, X6/Olwen fledged at 55 days old at 12.45 on 26th July.

The second born chick KA9/Gelert fledged at 55 days old at 07.29 on 28th July.

Today on 1st August, the chicks are 61 and 59 days old respectively. 

Brenig Osprey Project is a collaboration between Dŵr Cymru/Welsh Water, North Wales Wildlife Trust and the RSPB.

Link to northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk

• Afternoon Glider

Many thanks for the new thread and superb intro. Well done :-)
  • Karen W said:
    Afternoon Glider

Many thanks for the new thread and superb intro. Well done :-)

Hi Karen, thanks that’s taken me forever!! Thanks to Sandra sending me detailed instructions, I’ve finally managed it. I had a look at the other sites to get an idea of what to write! I’m still trying to sort a few things so will continue editing. Hopefully it’ll get easier and look better as I do it more often ! Haha Smile

• It does get easier Glider as once you have the initial data then you can just copy and add the new data to it the next month - well that is what I do and although it looks detailed, it isn't really such a big chore to do :-D
  • Karen W said:
    It does get easier Glider as once you have the initial data then you can just copy and add the new data to it the next month - well that is what I do and although it looks detailed, it isn't really such a big chore to do :-D

Thanks Karen, I’ll remember that. Thumbsup Your first page headings look great and I especially love the individual portraits you add of the chicks Two hearts

By the time I do another one next year, I’ll be like a beginner again! Smile

• Last night just after 23.00, one of the youngsters flew onto the nest just under where LM6 was perching.

It was a bit of a crash landing

as the chick landed too low and scrambled to get up onto the nest.

It settled sitting just under the perimeter of the nest.

Ten minutes later the other chick flew towards the nest.

This startled LM6 and she flew off.

The chick on the nest clambered up and over to settle down for the night, It was Gelert.

He settled down for the night.

• LJ2 joined Gelert early morning, sitting on the perch.

07.22 and the chicks have flown onto the nest fish calling. Gelert arrives first to the perch, followed by Olwen from the water side, 

LM6 soon flies onto the nest, clasping a big headless fish.

Gelert flies from the perch but Olwen gets to the fish first.

• 12.04 LJ2 flies onto the nest with a partially eaten fish. He stands and waits for a wee bit before Olwen comes screeching down to join him.

Olwen takes the fish. She had flown down from the trees where she was sitting alongside another Osprey. 

• 17.33 LJ2 lands on the nest followed by Gelert. LM6 then arrives with a whole live fish.

Olwen joined them, LJ2 flew off and LM6 released the fish.

LM6 then took the fish to the other side of the nest and Gelert was first over to be fed.

• (01/08/22) An uneaten part of the 17.33 fish remained on the nest until 19.39 when LJ2 came along and took it away. The weather has turned and lots of wind noise and rain on the camera now.