Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 September 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a joyful week. 

Looks like the autumn rains are coming early here this year. Lots of electrical thunderstorms last week with power outages and more forecast for this week.

I woke up in the night once this week and nearly climbed up the wall because I thought a scorpion was in bed with me. It was only a very long Trig, though. A Trig is a grasshopper-like bug. That species tries to come indoors this time of year. I'm not afraid of them, but they're very loud and annoying. They make a sound like metal gears grinding. I relocated that one outdoors.

• Agree with you Clare. Charles was originally in love with Camilla but it didn;t go ahead at the time and that is why she married Shand-Kidd. He was cajoled into marrying Diane and as we know it didn't end as a fairytale. Yes, he deserves his Kingship and a chance to rule following his mother's guidance and diplomacy. Long live King Charles 111.

I must admit I've had the tele on on the background most of the day picking up snippits here and there and watching other programmes as at present there is saturation coverage.
  • Have a good weekend all.

At least tomorrow Charles will be declared the next monarch officially.
  • Good morning. I slept in today after going to bed way too late last night.

Much coverage of our late Queens life on TV, of course there is plenty of footage, and there are many many photographs of her - a truly beautiful woman when in her prime, and still had a stunning smile right until the end. Very moving hearing tales from those who met her: she had the human touch and I think King Charles will have that, too.
  • Interesting, OG. I also use the words death and dying - no euphemisms. I was mildly surprised when the doctor in A and E asked the nurse what time that my OH had 'passed'. It could be said that he was being sensitive to the fact that many folk find the euphemism more acceptable. When I was speaking with three different consultants in A and E that day, I must admit that I got a bit tired of all the chat using any words except the facts. I the end I'm afraid that I interrupted them and said ' He's dying, isn't he?'. But again, I can appreciate that they were trying to be gentle with me and for that, I applaud their intentions. Everyone is different.

• We have been surprised recently to hear of people "passing"

I too was so very pleased to see the reception Charles got when he arrived at BP. I think that together they will make a great team as our monarch and his consort.
  • Heather/OG:  Must confess I prefer "dying" and "died" over all the niceties.  My BiL was very clear that he wanted a bona-fide funeral for my sister, not a 'celebration!'   My niece is off visiting a friend in Whitstable for the weekend - a way overdue time-out for her; nephew is taking his family up to see BiL tomorrow for the day.

We had light but steady rain overnight and the plants look almost shocked.  :-)   It's still muggy, but normal seasonable weather resumes Monday according to all our chirpy weather people.   Meanwhile, can't believe it's Saturday - again!!

Take care all

• Heather - Yes, it's a difficult one. I never use those terms and it seems rather Americanised (sorry to our USA friends) but I suppose we have to be sensitive to those who are well, sensitive. For some reason everyone is still very careful about tiptoeing around death and it's rather a taboo subject, which seems odd when so many other things are talked about very frankly these days. It will come to us all, of course, and we will all lose someone at some point.

Very pleased to see that Prince William has posted a statement, which is a sign of how things might be in future perhaps with the Royals being seen as more human and just like the rest of us. It could be the way ahead for the monarchy to go on into the future rather than being dumped as old fashioned and outdated. (Not by me, I hasten to add)
  • Nature Notes:

We were pleased to see that we've had more butterflies in the garden in the last two weeks or so. We've seen the usual Cabbage Whites, Peacocks, and Red Admirals, and I glimpsed something blue and small which got away from me!

My OH was sad to see a female blackbird dead on the ground this morning, which looked as if it had hit one of our windows.

I was picking tiny strawberries on the back garden steps when something moved - I'd disturbed a little frog which hopped away in front of me, but remained on the steps. Worried that Bonnie would come and investigate, I froze. After what seemed forever, the frog hopped up a step and thence into the plants at the side. Phew! Bonnie was 'helping' my OH in another part of the garden but might have eaten the frog if she'd seen it moving.

• To add my two pennyworth to the discussion - yes, 'death' and 'died' for me. It's a fact that we all die, so why try to make it sound like anything else? I have been surrounded by a lot of death this week - a friend died last Saturday, then The Queen, and then a church member's funeral yesterday. I ran away today and watch show jumping at Hickstead! They were all very much alive there. Going again tomorrow, which was arranged a while ago - today was spontaneous, and exactly what I needed!

Glad to know the date of the funeral. I can now rearrange my diary for the next couple of weeks!

Lindy - Glad to hear about your frog. I imagine Bonnie would have been very interested if given half a chance!
  • Went down for vestry day at church - we were quite late as we watched the Privy Council gathering firsr. Quite a few had turned up before us, and there was good conversation. Didn't get to the Harbour Festival - think it must have gone ahead as town centre was very busy. I too am glad we have a date for the Royal Funeral now - life must go on. Good to see the King's sons together at Windsor and following his example to meet their public. also glad to read that P rincess Royal is to accompany her mother's coffin from Edinburgh to London - I had a feeling she might do that.

Will probably go to church service tomorrow as it could still be dry weather. Evenings are getting darker now - OH has to do his evening jobs before dinner.